Easy pot question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oooFishy

Reaction score
Hey everybody. I just bought a new pot, and it doesn't have any gallon markers on it. I was planning on doing it myself, but I was wondering if its safe to mark the inside of the pot with a permanent marker. Will this come off during the boil?

Thanks

What you can do is buy a measuring stick and mark that, then stick it in the pot to measure the volume. Or you can lauter into a pale ale bucket with the markings on the side, then transfer into the pot.

oooFishy said:
Hey everybody. I just bought a new pot, and it doesn't have any gallon markers on it. I was planning on doing it myself, but I was wondering if its safe to mark the inside of the pot with a permanent marker. Will this come off during the boil?

Thanks
Go on the outside. Inside is impossible to read with steam and boiling wort. And yes, it will dissolve off anyway.

And be exact and precise like I was. ;)

Keggle_4.JPG

Take your pot and lay it on the side. Usuing a ruler draw a line from the top to the bottom.

Be sure to measure and pour 1/2 (or 1) gallon increments into the pot and put a SLIGHT ding in the side of the pot (on the line) with a center punch to mark the spot. Ding it from the inside at the water level.

BierMuncher said:
Go on the outside. Inside is impossible to read with steam and boiling wort. And yes, it will dissolve off anyway.

And be exact and precise like I was. ;)

How do you tell where the level inside is to the markings? Seems like it would kinda hard when the marks are on the outside?

denimglen said:
How do you tell where the level inside is to the markings? Seems like it would kinda hard when the marks are on the outside?
You just have to kind of eye-ball it. Once you get to using your equipment, it'll be like knowing how much farther you can drive your car before running out of gas. You just develop a "feel" for it.

I know where my 25L mark is.
I work all my brews out to have a 25L post boil volume so that's all I need.

I have a 50L keg so it's the centre seam.

KISS baby.:rockin:

Iordz said:
What you can do is buy a measuring stick and mark that, then stick it in the pot to measure the volume. Or you can lauter into a pale ale bucket with the markings on the side, then transfer into the pot.

That's what I do. I rummaged around in my garage and found a wood dowel, and made marks on it in 1-gallon increments. Works fine. It also doubles as my mash rake.:)

orfy said:
I know where my 25L mark is.
I work all my brews out to have a 25L post boil volume so that's all I need.

I have a 50L keg so it's the centre seam.

KISS baby.:rockin:

Same sorta deal here, I know when I start my boil I need to be just over the top ring on my keggle, when I'm done I need to be close to the bottom of it for 10 gallons of wort...

And be exact and precise like I was.;)

It looks like you were more precise than when you cut the top off your keg!;) :mug:

I made a wooden stick. Then, I added pre-measured water to my pots and marked on the stick for every gallon. I have a 5 gal and 10 gal pot. So I used one side for each. It seems to be very accurate. I think I can get to within 0.1 gal in the big pot.

Back