Hop suggestions for a Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conno

Reaction score
Could anyone suggest some good hop varieties(preferably English for authenticity) for my malt extract porter. Also any grain suggestions would be cool too.
I am doing a malt extract Porter next and I want to start adding my own touches before I go all grain.
Thanks

I've used Willamette and Northdown in one, and my current one that's still fermenting is more Americanized and is using Cascade. Willamette is I think an offshoot of Goldings, a British hop, and Northdown is used in Guinness stout.

Cascade is very American.

I also used Willamette and Cascade both times I made my porter. I really like Willamette hops; I used them in my oatmeal stout as well.

Fuggles is probably a fair option as well. Just posted this as Cheyco did...I therefore second the motion :D

Goldings, Northern Brewer and Willamette are all good choices. I used Fuggles in mine as well, came out pretty good.

Used only Willamettes in a porter I did with a Mr Beer kit a while back. Just drank it this past weekend and I couldnt believe how good it was. There were 6 guys at the party I was at that tried it and all 6 raved about it.

Classical english style
EKG (Kettle & Late addition) and Fuggles (Middle Addition) for a combo work well

Mighty tasty!
Perle (Kettle), Northern Brewers (Middle addition), and Cenntenial (Late Addition, end of boil) are an excellent combo.

Williamette, Fuggles, *Gold* can be used at any stage of the boil. They are all low AA hops with good nose. [Brewer's Gold excepted, that's mainly bittering]

We don't have much access to U.K. hops out here, like Admiral, Phoenix, or Target.

Back