Using a coffee grinder mishap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsamp

Reaction score
I had to crush just under 3 lbs of grain last night for a brew I'm starting today. I put some in a grinder just to get a good start on them. I then used the rolling pin, freezer bag, and cutting board to finish it up. However while doing some chocolate grains I accidently knocked over my beer (yes I was a little buzzed lol) and went to clean it up rather than turn off the machine. I now have a ~1/3 lb of finely crushed grain. Can I salvage it? If not why? Thanks in advance for the insight.

This isn't from personal experience (haven't had this exact problem), but it would seem to me that you run two risks - a stuck sparge and excessive tannins. If it were me, I'd go to the lhbs if it were close and get new grain or, if the store isn't convenient, make the brew with the flour-ish grain as an experiment (because it seems like a small part of the grain bill.

I was thinking about using it but I know it will go through the grain bag. I'm not sure if this would cause a problem or not. I even thought about even putting it through the coffee maker and just save the liquid. I'm still a noob at this stuff so I dont even know if that will work. I forgot to get the yeast to do my fourth batch so I have to go to the lhbs store anyway.

Oh I see, you're using them as steeping grains in a bag. If you're going to the lhbs anyway, then I think you are wise to just pick up some more.

I agree with Pappers. Replace the grain. Here's why:

If it goes through your grain bag (and it sounds like it will), you run the risk of extracting tannins, which aren't so desirable.

Your coffeemaker will extract tannins from it as well- 170 F is held to be the magic number for tannin extraction, and your coffeemaker ought to be hitting it with water hotter than that.

Replacing it will be a dollar well spent.

Your coffeemaker will extract tannins from it as well- 170 F is held to be the magic number for tannin extraction, and your coffeemaker ought to be hitting it with water hotter than that.

Replacing it will be a dollar well spent.

I think you are reading wrong. He said coffee grinder, not maker.

I wouldn't worried about tannins specifically from finely ground grains. Especially if they are steeping grains, and they are chocolate malt. The fine chocolate malt might produce a bit of an acrid taste from more flavors being extracted.

What does your recipe call for?

I actually had the idea of putting in the coffee maker after I grinded the grains to a fine powder. I dont want a bunch of tanins though.

Its actually a recipe I made up playing around with Beersmith. I want to do a high gravity chocolate oatmeal stout. Its and experiment and may or may not turn out good but here is what I plan to do....

6.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 36.4 %
3.00 lb Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 18.2 %
2.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 12.1 %
1.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 9.1 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 6.1 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.0 %
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 3.0 %
1.00 oz Pearle [8.00%] (60 min) Hops 17.5 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (60 min) Hops 12.0 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (60 min) Hops 9.8 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (60 min) Hops 9.8 IBU
2.00 lb Brown Sugar, Dark (50.0 SRM) Sugar 12.1 %
2 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Ok, I didn't see the part about the coffee maker. Definately dont do that. They are supposed to put out water near boiling. Most don't, but its still too hot for grain.

I'd probably pick up some more grain. Steeping fine ground chocolate malt might not produce bad flavors, but it is a high risk. Since you are going to a LHBS, do they have a grain mill? Get them to grind all of your stuff while you are there.

No my local store doesnt have a mill. They make their own wine and sell it. They have a nice selection of wine making supplies but have a limited selection of beer making supplies on hand. Its a good place to get dme and some hops so I dont have to pay shipping. That recipe I came up with are items they have on hand.

-e-
What is that symbol in your avatar mean? I've seen it a lot here but I'm clueless to what it is.

Sounds like my LHBS. It has a slightly larger brewing section and even has a mill. Its mostly geared toward wine making since NE Ohio is a pretty big wine area.

The symbol you've been seeing is a memorial badge for Greenwood Rover, a member who passed away recently.

Back