When/How to add grapes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strahmhv

Reaction score
A friend who lives up in wine country brought me a bunch of grapes straight from the field (whatever type is used for white raisins). I would like to add them to my next batch of beer, but when/how do i add them?

Seems like i should boil to avoid contamination, but that'd change the flavor. What do you think?

boiling them with kill a lot of flavor and set the pectin which can lead to a permanent haze in the beer. crushing them and adding some campden tablets, letting them sit for 24-48 hours then adding it to the beer should help reduce the risk of contamination.
personally I wouldnt add them to beer, if you have enough I would make a wine if not I would make a pyment (a mead made with grapes) you should be able to find a lot of good pyment recipes on the net.

If you want to add them to your beer, wash them thoroughly under cool running water then dry and freeze them. When it comes time to add them to your beer in secondary, remove them from the freezer and put them straight into the fermenter without thawing them. They'll thaw pretty quickly in the beer and it won't hurt it at all.

Back