brewing milk stout from extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishrover32

Reaction score
hi there

im looking at brewing a milk stout, iv only brewed two beers which was a while back so iv got some questions. my plan is to use coopers brew master irish stout and add a pound lactose sugar instead of the recommended sugar and use safale-04 yeast. id also like to add some vanilla to the brew. my goal for this is to make a sweet creamy (low carbonated/ sort of unfizzy) stout. when and how should i add the lactose sugar and what form of vanilla should i use ie beans or extract and when should i add it? does this sound like a viable plan or is it silly, i usually just follow the directions on the can exactly but im trying to get a bit more involved

thanks

Take any stout kit and add 8oz. of lactose sugar for a 5 gallon batch. That's USA gallons, mate.

Bam! Milk stout.

Just toss the lactose in at the end of your boil.

When I add vanilla, I use beans slice them open lengthwise soak the in vodka, I use just enough to cover them. I do this brewday. Then I will let them soak until I either secondary or will add the vanilla flavored vodka at bottling time with priming sugar or just put in keg before racking.

Why don't you try this extract kit? I have done this a couple of times and its pretty good.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_452_43_255&products_id=12734

that would be perfect as the left hand milk stout is kind of what im going for i had while in america and it was so good but sadly i dont think that company ship to ireland which is where im based :(

Just toss the lactose in at the end of your boil.

When I add vanilla, I use beans slice them open lengthwise soak the in vodka, I use just enough to cover them. I do this brewday. Then I will let them soak until I either secondary or will add the vanilla flavored vodka at bottling time with priming sugar or just put in keg before racking.

do you add the lactose as well as the malt extract? and what do you mean by secondary i see it everywhere on here?

irishrover32 said:
that would be perfect as the left hand milk stout is kind of what im going for i had while in america and it was so good but sadly i dont think that company ship to ireland which is where im based :(

do you add the lactose as well as the malt extract? and what do you mean by secondary i see it everywhere on here?

Secondary is the term for racking your beer from the primary fermenter into a second fermenting vessel for clearing, adding of spices or dry hopping, or adding more fermentables for a "second fermentation" such as a fruit addition. Some will use a secondary others will just bottle/keg from the primary fermenter. Lots of views in which way works better. Just go with what process you're comfortable with.

Yes the lactose would be an addition to the malt extract. The lactose is simply milk sugar that is added for adding sweetness. It is mostly unfermentable sugars that will remain after fermentation. You would still need the fermentable sugars from the malt extract to push up the gravity of the wort for your beer.

Simple Milk Stout Recipe.
8oz Black malt
8oz Chocolate malt
6lb Amber LME
1oz Northern Brewer 60m
1lb Lactose
S-04

Latest posts

Back