Carboy popped and now little signs of fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cerberiss

Reaction score
Hello every one, I am new to home brewing and after making my first batch yesterday I had the airlock pop on my 6 gallon carboy. I have read that this is a common problem and I will make the recommended adjustments to my setup by using a 1 inch blow off, but the stopper was off for several hours over night. Figuring that the brew would still be ok, and that any signs of infection would be apparent, I watched my brew ferment the rest of the day. When it hit the 24hr mark of it brewing the wart seems to have stopped fermenting and I don't know if it is a sign of infection or not. It is an amber ale from Crosby & Baker, like many other noobs im just a little worried about my first brew and any help would be great.

Cerberiss said:
Hello every one, I am new to home brewing and after making my first batch yesterday I had the airlock pop on my 6 gallon carboy. I have read that this is a common problem and I will make the recommended adjustments to my setup by using a 1 inch blow off, but the stopper was off for several hours over night. Figuring that the brew would still be ok, and that any signs of infection would be apparent, I watched my brew ferment the rest of the day. When it hit the 24hr mark of it brewing the wart seems to have stopped fermenting and I don't know if it is a sign of infection or not. It is an amber ale from Crosby & Baker, like many other noobs im just a little worried about my first brew and any help would be great.

Don't worry. It's very common for visible signs of fermentation to stop after a Day or so. This doesn't mean that the yeast have stopped working ... Just that they've finished gorging themselves on easy to eat sugars. You'll know when they're done when you get 3 days of constant hydrometer readings near your expected FG.

Make sure you sanitize the blow off tube. And everything else. Twice. You know, just to be sure :)

Have fun brewing

Thanks for the reassurance and quick response. I did soaked the airlock and stopper in sanitizer for a couple of minutes since it was on the floor then gave it a good rinse, I didn't want to lose my first batch after reading about the horror stories of infected brews :)

Rinse them first, then sanitize and let the sanitizing agent (idophor, starsan, etc.) dry on your equipment. Rinsing them with tap water afterward negates sanitizing them.

That being said, relax. I'm sure your beer will turn out fine. Let it sit for 3 weeks in the primary and let the yeasts do their job consuming malts, fusel alcohols, diacetyl and everything else they can and you'll have a fine beer.

It's really hard for newbies to learn that rushing your beer due to eagerness and excitement is the usual cause of problems. Let the beer ferment three weeks in your primary fermenter then once it's bottled, let it sit another three weeks bottle conditioning. You'll be well rewarded for your patience. :)

Back