sediment free beer. help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yewtah-brewha

Reaction score
Is there anyway to create a sediment free beer like the commercial beers at the store? I like drinking from the bottle better than anything. Would raising the racking cane up off of the bottom on the bottle filling day help?

yewtah-brewha said:
Is there anyway to create a sediment free beer like the commercial beers at the store? I like drinking from the bottle better than anything. Would raising the racking cane up off of the bottom on the bottle filling day help?

Improving your racking skills, allowing the beer enough time to clear and cold crashing will all greatly improve your clarity.

Remember though if you bottle you will to some degree always have a bit because there needs to be some yeast to consume the priming sugar and then they drop after carbonating.

I just watched this video earlier.

It's good ole CraigTube. He's showing off some new contraption he bought that makes for sediment-free homebrew that you can drink from the bottle without noshing a bunch of dead yeast and whatever else.

Here's the site of the company that makes the thing: http://sedexbrewing.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup. Filter and force-carb in a keg. If you bottle condition you'll wind up with at least a little sediment.

Ya craigube demonstrates those cap/filter devices but in my opinion it's more trouble than its worth: I don't mind having a little sediment in the bottom, especially since its a sign that the yeasties have done their job. Don't have to drink the sludge , just pour it out. And there are several commercial beers that have sediment. Kegs are an option, but I like having bottles. I can give them away, share, throw a few of different batches in the fridge for variety. Whatever the reason I prefer bottles. A little sediment doesn't really bother me.
And even with those cap/filter gadgets I wonder if there might still be sediment . So unless you force carb, keg, etc, sediment just feels like a necesary evil when it comes to making great beer. I guess the real question is why does it bother you? Is it becaus it looks gross? Are you drinking from the bottles and not pouring into a glass? Is there excessive sediment because you racked the beer in such a way that siphoned more sediment than normal?

It's a necessary evil if you're bottle conditioning. The yeast in the flat beer in the bottling bucket eats the priming sugar and craps put co2. After its done, the yeast flocs and sinks to the bottom. That's your sediment, not sludge from your fermenter.

Look in the bottom of a Sierra Nevada bottle, some settled yeast in most of those, especially their hefeweizen. If you want zero sediment I guess you could drink Coors. ;)

I personally think beer tastes better from a glass anyway.

Rick

You have to, use Irish moss, use yeast that flocks, and cold crash then blow the yeast out of the keg. There are tons of mistakes people make racking or bottle conditioning to many to list.

sounds kinda funny, but idont want to add any unneccasary yeast to my body!
Ya craigube demonstrates those cap/filter devices but in my opinion it's more trouble than its worth: I don't mind having a little sediment in the bottom, especially since its a sign that the yeasties have done their job. Don't have to drink the sludge , just pour it out. And there are several commercial beers that have sediment. Kegs are an option, but I like having bottles. I can give them away, share, throw a few of different batches in the fridge for variety. Whatever the reason I prefer bottles. A little sediment doesn't really bother me.
And even with those cap/filter gadgets I wonder if there might still be sediment . So unless you force carb, keg, etc, sediment just feels like a necesary evil when it comes to making great beer. I guess the real question is why does it bother you? Is it becaus it looks gross? Are you drinking from the bottles and not pouring into a glass? Is there excessive sediment because you racked the beer in such a way that siphoned more sediment than normal?

yewtah-brewha said:
I used irish moss on my last batch of porter. How do you cold crash?:mug:

Cold crashing is dropping the temp to like 40-50 for a few days to force everything to drop bright.

It can be done in a fridge, keezer, swamp cooler with lots of ice or even outside if the temps are right.

I used irish moss on my last batch of porter. How do you cold crash?:mug:

Using Irish moss and cold crashing will usually give you a batch of nice clear FLAT beer that has yeast (not visible) living in it.

Now with this batch of flat beer you can:

1. Keg it and force carbonation into it.(NO SEDIMENT)

2. Add priming sugar and bottle it, allowing natural carbonation to take place.(YOU WILL HAVE SEDIMENT)

bosco

If someone can convince me that the sediment is actually good for the body, I will feel 100% better abot it. one of the reasons I decided to brew my own, was to cut out the crap that commercial (refineries) put in thier beer. Art at Arts beer supplies in SLC said it has alot of nutrients, but I'm not completly buying it! Any thoughts!
Using Irish moss and cold crashing will usually give you a batch of nice clear FLAT beer that has yeast (not visible) living in it.

Now with this batch of flat beer you can:

1. Keg it and force carbonation into it.(NO SEDIMENT)

2. Add priming sugar and bottle it, allowing natural carbonation to take place.(YOU WILL HAVE SEDIMENT)

bosco

Drinking from the bottle robs you of most of the bonus of making home brew. The aroma, the color and the head are completely lost by drinking from the bottle. Plus, there's something special about watching your freshly brewed beer pour into a nice glass jug. Hmmmm beer....

If someone can convince me that the sediment is actually good for the body, I will feel 100% better abot it. one of the reasons I decided to brew my own, was to cut out the crap that commercial (refineries) put in thier beer. Art at Arts beer supplies in SLC said it has alot of nutrients, but I'm not completly buying it! Any thoughts!

Have a look here

The sediment in the bottom of your bottles is mostly flocced or dormant yeast, with some hop, grain and sugar sludge.

Brewer's yeast is good for all sorts of things. Rich in Vitamin B complex and Chromium. It'll cure your PMS too:ban::fro::D

yewtah-brewha said:

The yeast at the bottom is exactly that.... Yeast. It does have nutrients and stuff in it that's good for you. But most brewers don't drink it, at least not the sediment from the bottle unless its a hefeweizen. What you have to decide is.... Do you want to drink out of the bottle or not. If you do, force carbing then bottling off the keg is your best choice. If you don't then you can either bottle and just pour the last tiny bit of beer out instead of in your glass so you don't get the yeast...or... Keg your beer and enjoy it sediment free off the tap.

Back