Another newbie with a question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adowling83

Reaction score
My husband has taken up the wine making hobbie which is great for him, but it would be even better if I could actually choke it down. For some reason, it always smells like bread yeast. I have tried it (he specifically made a batch with lower alcohol to see if that helped) and it is not a good taste. He only racks it once, so I am wondering if racking it at least twice, like most of you suggest, can help with the flavor and smell? Is there anything you can suggest to help with this so I can enjoy myself a nice glass of wine as well?! :confused:

adowling83 said:
My husband has taken up the wine making hobbie which is great for him, but it would be even better if I could actually choke it down. For some reason, it always smells like bread yeast. I have tried it (he specifically made a batch with lower alcohol to see if that helped) and it is not a good taste. He only racks it once, so I am wondering if racking it at least twice, like most of you suggest, can help with the flavor and smell? Is there anything you can suggest to help with this so I can enjoy myself a nice glass of wine as well?! :confused:

The wine is still fermenting and/or the yeast hasn't settled out of the wine yet.

My wine is usually pretty clear after the third racking and continues getting better with age.

Be patient and try your husband's brew after it clears.

yea you need to rack it more then once, it needs to clear more, wine making is a slow process if you cant be patient then dont do it.

He is going to try racking it more than once with this batch. I bet it only gets better from here. I will update once I have tasted it :D

I wouldn't pass judgment on any wine for at least 6 months after fermentation ends. My typical routine is to rack every 40-60 days until clear.

Ingredients can factor in as well. Quality in = Quality out. That plus a bit of time (as already advised) can make something wonderful... trust us! :)

my rule is if its undrinkable young it probably wont make it, i know someone will come on here and say otherwise but its just how i do things..

Honda88 said:
my rule is if its undrinkable young it probably wont make it, i know someone will come on here and say otherwise but its just how i do things..

Undrinkable young is one thing, but the issue here is undrinkable with yeast still in the wine.

You really can't taste what is going on until it's pretty clear.

if it is undrinkable with a small amount of yeast in the wine then its probably not gonna make it... if its undrinkable with a large amount of yeast that is one thing...

Bottom line is wine making requires patience and time. Wine requires time to mature.

like i said some people will say otherwise but im still sticking to my rule of thumb if it tastes like A$$ when its young its probably going to taste like A$$ when its old. wine IMPROVES with age it doesnt go from tasting like A$$ to tasting like heaven. just my 2 cents, take it or leave it, you will find lots of different opinions on here I dont consider my self and expert but I do have some experience with this.

Back