wild fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leolee86

Reaction score
So I stoped at a hbs a few months back and they had a gallon jug of wort sitting on the loading dock with a piece of cheese cloth covering it and it appeared to be bubbling away. Just curious if anyone else has tried this and what the results are

I tried it and waited too long to throw an airlock back on, ended up with a gallon of malt vinegar.

Hey Leolee,

Odd story for you. Back about a year ago I was teaching a couple of friends how to brew all grain and was doing a 15 gallon batch, assuming they'd want to just split it as I didn't have anywhere to put it. They each took 5 gallons, but refused to take the other carboy, so I was stuck with it. Put a stopper with a hole in the top, but no airlock. I stuck it in my entertainment center/fermentation chamber with 4 carboys full of Brett and Lacto, with a "whatever happens happens" mentality. I tried this 3-4 weeks ago, and it actually is coming along real nicely! I'm assuming it caught some brett, and its still tickin' with a rather solid pelicle on it right now. I'll be adding an ounce of oak cubes in the beginning of July, and will probably keg it 4-6 weeks after that. It's possible to get a good fermentation (even if it's a Pale Ale apparently!), but you probably have a much better chance of getting a bad yeast or bug in there, so it might not be worth brewing just to try. Could always take 4 gallons (or 8 gallons if it's a 10 gallon batch) and ferment with a standard yeast, while taking the other 1-2 gallons in a 3 gallon carboy without an airlock. Put it away, and check it 6-8 months later! Good luck.

I set a jar of 500ml dme outside at night and by open window during the day. Took about 2 days to start. After about 5 days I had a nice 1/4 in or so of yeast cake on the bottom. I stepped up to 800ml and transferred to flask and about 4 days later stepped up to 1200ml. Slight green apple/fruity aroma to it. Can't wait to try it out.

wild yeast 02.jpg

That's really cool, let me know how it taste..I think just for the sake of it, I'm going to try it with a couple liters of wort this weekend

I've done it a couple times by leaving my 5gallons of boiled wort in the kettle with cheesecloth covering the top outside overnight. In the morning I racked to a carboy, aerated, attached airlock, and left aloe. Within a few days fermentation had begun. Both times I tried I got different flavors and aromas. Keep in mind that wild fermentation is definitely a YMMV type of experiment. Definitely fun and worth giving it a try, and if your first attempt doesn't pan out, try, try again!

Back