Rogue Ceramic Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talleymonster

Reaction score
I recently got a couple bottles through CraigsList. They are really nice bottles. I've never drank their contents, but they go for 12.99 at my local liquor store. I might buy one one of these days for a special occasion.

Anyways, I want to use them for my brew. Can they be used? I would think so. Just sanitize as with any other bottle?

I would like to remove the paint, too. Do you think it would work with Star San, like glass bottles do? I would hate to damage or mis color the bottle.

53ph05f.jpg

I've had the Old Crustacean Barleywine and have the empty still. Rogue makes some kickaXX beers.

I'm looking forward to the answer as well. I'd definately like to put a beer in one.

I have 2 of these bottles (use them for transporting samples) and have always cleaned them with Oxyclean and sanitized with Iodophor with no problems. Not really sure how you would go about removing the paint, I haven't tried.

If you like IPAs I highly recommend the double IPA that they bottle in these, it is phenomenal.

They will work great, just like any other Flip top you can buy. I have a bunch, I have drank the contents of them, the three different ones i was able to find,(Barleywine, IIPA, Imperial Russian Stout). I have seen pictures and heard wind of an Imperial Pilsner, anyone else seen or had that one? I am not sure about removing the paint I have never thought about it. If you get it off of there let us know.

Cheers

wop31 said:
They will work great, just like any other Flip top you can buy. I have a bunch, I have drank the contents of them, the three different ones i was able to find,(Barleywine, IIPA, Imperial Russian Stout). I have seen pictures and heard wind of an Imperial Pilsner, anyone else seen or had that one? I am not sure about removing the paint I have never thought about it. If you get it off of there let us know.

Cheers
Yes, I have some of these ceramic bottles, too. No problems with them, except that this probably isn't a bottle that you want to soak to clean.

And yes, I have even see the Imperial Pilsner up here in Canada. But I haven't brought myself to drop the $23 for one bottle, especially since I rarely buy anything lighter than a brown ale. ;) But if it is anything like the other Rogue brews, I would probably really like it.

I saw the Imperial Pilsner at Hi-Time Wine Cellar in Costa Mesa, CA. It's a GREAT beer/wine/spirits/cigar store. Stone, Alesmith, Greenflash... etc. etc. etc. (No Alpine though. DARN)

I've seen the Morimoto Imperial Pilsner around; they have a newer Imperial Younger's Special Bitter in one; they did an Imperial YSB in one a little while back; they at various times have done their Hazelnut Brown and Shakespeare Porter in one of these...and I've got one that they did for Rogue 10,000 Brew Ale. I've had the best luck at my local Top (Haggen) Foods supermarket, which I think is just a Pacific NW chain. For some reason one of them (South Hill, Puyallup) has an awesome beer and wine buyer, and he keeps the place stocked with more micros and imports than I've seen outside of a specialty store - good stuff, not the usual "We have Micros!" = Sam Adams.

Those are some sweet bottles.

BTW, the Materials Engineer in me is obliged to point out that all bottles are ceramic, these bottles are just a vitreous ceramic rather than an amorphous one. No real point to that one, just a thing of mine.

I've reused mine several times. Only drawback - hard to tell if the interior of the bottle is clean. I rinse them several times as soon as they are empty. No problems with contamination so far.

I don't know how you would remove the paint. I just leave them as is.

I had a bottle of Delerium Tremens that appeared to be ceramic. But upon further reading I discovered that the bottle was actually glass with a outer coating to appear ceramic. Wonder if that would be the case with those.
You probably already know this but, make sure to replace the rubber gasket.

Those are some sweet bottles.

BTW, the Materials Engineer in me is obliged to point out that all bottles are ceramic, these bottles are just a vitreous ceramic rather than an amorphous one. No real point to that one, just a thing of mine.

Yeah, You might as well not spend the time trying to remove the finish.

Besides, it helps keep light out. UV breaks down the alcohol and gives it an off flavor at the same time. I'm thinking your beer will appreciate the shade.

:rockin:

Back