Fridge to hot tub line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustyTheBrewer

Reaction score
So I will be moving into a pretty sweet house that has a hot tub built into the deck. I have a pretty kickin' kegerator as it stands right now, but I want to put a tap outside on the deck next to the hot tub. It's not very practical but I don't do anything in this hobby for practicality...

I was thinking of just having a long beer line from the keg (in the fridge, inside) to the aforementioned tap outside. The line wont be insulated or cooled as I would hook it up for weekends without being permanent.

My question is will this even work? Am I going to need to ramp the pressure up in the keg just to push the beer (and over carbing it in the process)? Also, I figure as long as the beer keeps flowing, it shouldn't warm up too badly. Maybe a smaller I/D hose?

You will have to ramp up the pressure to push the beer, however, if your only going to have it installed when serving, overcarbing shouldn't be and issue, just turn it down when done. As far as insulation, I would go with the foam wrap that they use to insulate water lines. Maybe, just maybe, you could install a 10' coil of stainless steel in the middle, that you could submerge in an ice bath.

Other option would be to run the beer line out to a jockey box, and serve out of that!

You are going to waste a lot of beer since anything in it when it is not refrigerated will go bad. I would say get a 3gal keg with 12g CO2 and a picnic tap.

Or just tell SWMBO she looks damn hot getting in and out of the tub and its the highlight of your day. Good luck when its sub 40 deg.

I think you can definitely make this work. How far from the keg to the proposed tap are we talking? Is the run from the same level or is it going upstairs/downstairs?

-cheers

I'm thinking the jockey box idea is bang on. I totally forgot about that. I dont plan on having beer in the lines all week only to power drink on friday night so beer going bad isnt really a concern.

It's probably 40 feet and up a level. I figure if a typical jockey box can have 50ft of pipe alone this shouldn't be too too bad. Haha... I love this. I'm always thinking of where I can mount a beer tap.

Yeah with 40 feet of travel a jockey box might be the way to go. Too bad the rator isn't against the outside wall. That would be an easy run, and maybe an excuse move it...or build a new kegerator. 'Honey, I did it for you. I didn't want you to have to get out of the hot tub.' ;)

Latest posts

Back