Blackened foods

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've tried it all....beef, chicken, fish. I love blackened fish. I can't get enough of it.

However, I'm trying to find the perfect blackening seasoning.

Old Bay blackening seasoning is OUT. Not much flavor.

I like the Phillips Blackening Seasoning but it is missing something.

What about the kind with the fat cajun guy on the label? is that any good?

Emeril's Essence is pretty good.

I make my own seasoning - it goes something like this:

1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
Hefty dose of fresh ground pepper
Dash to 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (depending on how hot I want it)

Amounts vary - I don't measure much. Sometimes I add a little oregano, basil, and/or thyme, but I usually leave those out.

Here's a recipe for Emeril's Essence:

2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

When it comes to seasoning, nothing beats doing it yourself... except consistancy and convenience. So yeah... it's what I use, because it is prettty good.

I somtimes use his spice mixed to make dip because it's so damn easy.

olllllo said:
When it comes to seasoning, nothing beats doing it yourself... except consistancy and convenience. So yeah... it's what I use, because it is prettty good.

I somtimes use his spice mixed to make dip because it's so damn easy.

Pretty much the only thing I season myself are my tacos, and my rib recipe. Even steaks/chicken/pork I use a seasoning salt of some kind.

Simply cannot beat Montreal Steak Seasoning for a steak, IMHO. I also use a Honey salt (can't remember the name right now) on pork chops that is perfect in my opinion.

I have a problem with fish usually--I'm not a big lemon-pepper fan and that seems to be the norm on fish.

On a great steak I love just salt and coarse black pepper. On an ok steak, you can go to town on the seasonings.

I agree with Brewsmith...depends on the quality of the cut. A nice steak certainly deserves some olive oil, sea salt, and crushed black pepper. I like to salt them 20 minutes or so ahead of time which seems to result in a better crust (which is tangentially on topic).

I don't do blackened, but I will say that I have a new favorite spice: smoked paprika. I love it on everything (except the aforementioned fine steak). It is unbelievable on grilled corn on the cob.

Baron von BeeGee said:
I agree with Brewsmith...depends on the quality of the cut. A nice steak certainly deserves some olive oil, sea salt, and crushed black pepper. I like to salt them 20 minutes or so ahead of time which seems to result in a better crust (which is tangentially on topic).

I don't do blackened, but I will say that I have a new favorite spice: smoked paprika. I love it on everything (except the aforementioned fine steak). It is unbelievable on grilled corn on the cob.

It's hard to beat garlic salt on freshly grilled and buttered sweetcorn, especially if you have a GOOD sweetcorn guy in your area. Nothing better to do in the summer than make up a mess of corn, drink beer, listen to the game on the radio and hang out on the back porch.

Tilapia is great to blacken. Not too much flavor in the fish, so you're not killing any flavors.

I still don't have a powerful enough exhaust system to do blackened food. I had to install a downdraft type due to physical limitations of the kitchen and although it works well, I am not convinced it would be strong enough to pull the smoke from a blackening. I suppose I could get away with it, but I think I should buy one of those outdoor burners :D

Anyone ever make steak Au-Poivre? Salt Rib-Eyes, Strips, etc and coarsely crush tons of black Pepper. Literally press the Pepper into the steak, coating it both sides so it is pretty much solid black. Pan on high heat, clarified Butter (or Olive Oil) and cook until you reach the desired doneness, flipping only once. Remove from pan, and then you have a few options. You can finish it with sauce Diane, or more simply with Cognac (or Brandy) deglaze, heavy cream and then reduce. I like to swirl in a little Dijon type mustard after the heat is off. Season to taste, spoon sauce onto the plate and set the steak down on top. Enjoy.

Do you guys blacken food on the stove or on the grill? I think my smoke detector would go crazy if I tried to cook this stuff indoors.

Cheesefood said:
Do you guys blacken food on the stove or on the grill? I think my smoke detector would go crazy if I tried to cook this stuff indoors.

I pre-heat the skillet on the stove for about 5-10 minutes, then put it directly on the "coals" of the gas grill.

My favorite preparation for slightly-less-than-spectacularly-fresh tuna* is to use a southwestern spice blend (a good bit like balckening seasonings) and sear it about 2 minutes per sides and then serve with wasabi/cilantro/lime sauce and go directly to heaven.

(For spectacularly fresh tuna, I'd treat it more like a good steak with minimal seasoning.)

I second the smoked paprika and the steak au poivre: mighty good stuff.

Cheesefood said:

Stove normally, I hadn't thought to try the pan-on-the-grill method. :D I dunno if I could get the pan hot enough, but I like cweston's idea. Cast iron right on the coals, I am going to have to do that.

Aioli is great with blackened food.

SWMBO talking points.

We need a turkey fryer for
1) Searing steak
2) Blackened Catfish
3) Outdoor Wokking
4) Turkey
5) Gumbo
6) Shrimp boils
7) beer.

olllllo said:
SWMBO talking points.