Wyeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NUCC98

Reaction score
OK, so my regular HBS was unexpectedly closed yesterday and today, and my brew day is tonight after work. This other place didn't carry White Labs, like my normal HBS, so it was either Wyeast or powdered. So, I grabbed a smack pack of Irish Ale, and asked the owner what the deal was with them. I told him I was brewing tomorrow (tonight), so he said "well, should get this going right now then..." So, he smacked it for me and I left it in a nice room temp area overnight. This sucker is big...not like it's-gonna=blow-big, but I fear that it might get that big throughout the day.

1. What are the odds this thing will explode before I get to pitch it later on tonight...maybe around 10PM EST?

2. How long can the little buggers live in there after it get's activated? Like, will they still be alive by tonight?

Thanks!

I believe the instructions are to smack them 24 hours or so in advance, so you will be fine. I would be very carefull though when opening it, try to cut off just a small portion of the packet to release the built up gas or it will shoot out all over the place.

I believe smack packs are intended to be used in a starter before pitching. I've left them for well over 24 hours without a problem. I'm sure anything less than 48 wouldn't cause any issues.

Post back your progress/comments/impression. I'm using some Wyeast for the first time this Sunday, and would like to see how your pitching turned out.

I used an Irish Ale for my first batch, a Guinness clone, and it world fantastic. I've had to clean/resanitize/empty my bubbler already and decided to just do a blow off tube because the fermentation was so strong.

g0dolphins said:
Post back your progress/comments/impression. I'm using some Wyeast for the first time this Sunday, and would like to see how your pitching turned out.

I used the Wyeast 1338 European Ale yeast in a batch I brewed yesterday. This was the first time I tried their yeast and I am pleased with the results. I smacked it the night before and pitched it about 17 hours later (no starter). The first signs of life were noted about five hours after pitching and it has since taken off nicely.

I've used Wyeast smackpacks for all my brews except one where I used Safale 56. I've never had any complaints at all about Wyeast. Both of the LHBS's seem to sell more of them than White Labs yeast.

If you are to nervous about the size/pressure in the morning, you can always toss it in the fridge and pull it back out a couple hours before you brew.

Back