Any assistance with bar plans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recusit8m

Reaction score
Hi all...Hope everyone is well...I am starting this thread as I cannot find any plans around for a good looking, semi simple, relatively low cost bar build for my entertainment/theatre room in my house...Room is 12x30...Any thoughts or links to the plans or things you all have done...PS Im kinda a carpenters knucklehead...lol...Thanks as always:mug:

Well, you can see a link to the bar I'm building in my signature. I'm not convinced paying for plans online is worth it. I drew a basic shape and dimensions of what I was looking for and built a frame for it based on that. Skin it with plywood and throw in some molding and it looks pretty good.

Prior to building the bar I had zero experience with this sort of thing, so it's not overly difficult.

Something that could give you a cheap start but will require a little extra creativity is to make a "piano bar"-take a free piano from craigslist or something and gut it to make a bar. A guy I know did it and I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard good things. Of course, this might be tough if you're planning on keeping your kegerator in it, but not impossible.

Plans aren't really worth it. I told my GF that I was going to build a bar in my brewshop and she wasted $20 by "buying" a membership to a popular bar build website. The plans they sell are really weak. I mean they are so cookie cutter its a waste.
I built my bar by taking into account size of bar area, dimensions I wanted 10'x4'x3' I also built it "overkill" but that's my nature..

Do,kt worry bout carpentry skills. If you have the tools and the time and are patient enough to attempt a DIY it will be a very rewarding project! I'm 80% complete with my bar project and its been a ton of fun.

Good luck and PM me if you have any questions. I'll do my best to be useful.

I'm not sure how good this idea is, due to a possible lack of stability, but here's my plan.

I figured I would go to Habitat For Humanity Restore, which is a retail store where people bring used items, such as windows they've replaced, cabinets, countertops, and all kinds of other things. My plan is to purchase a length of kitchen cabinets, along with the countertop, and hopefully a sink as well. I'll use this as the base for my bar. Then, off of those cabinets, I want to add the front fascia and the bartop.

Doing it this way should be pretty easy and economical. It will save me the effort of having to frame everything in, and I won't have to deal with finishing the back side of the bar, because it should already be done.
But like I said, I'm not sure if stability and structural integrity will be an issue.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

I'm not sure how good this idea is, due to a possible lack of stability, but here's my plan.

I figured I would go to Habitat For Humanity Restore, which is a retail store where people bring used items, such as windows they've replaced, cabinets, countertops, and all kinds of other things. My plan is to purchase a length of kitchen cabinets, along with the countertop, and hopefully a sink as well. I'll use this as the base for my bar. Then, off of those cabinets, I want to add the front fascia and the bartop.

Doing it this way should be pretty easy and economical. It will save me the effort of having to frame everything in, and I won't have to deal with finishing the back side of the bar, because it should already be done.
But like I said, I'm not sure if stability and structural integrity will be an issue.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

TTT

Anyone?

Use your imagination, frame it out, and cover it with something. Whatever fits. Dude, I know you can do it, jump in feet first. IT aint gonna be perfect but it will be yours and thats what will make it great. I had the best times of my life in my father in laws basement. Tiled floor, suspended ceiling, painted cement walls and homemade bar. Whatever works, its the people that are there with you that count.

Back