Fermenting chamber out of a mini fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yamaha81

Reaction score
Ok so I 'am new to brewing, but I want to be able to lager and live in AZ so getting ales to ferment correctly so far has been a chore. Then it just hit me I have this great little fridge and by little i mean it barely can hold 30 cans or 12 bottles i used in my room for a few beers here and there or soda's. Anyways I was thinking I could build a box around it maybe take the door off basically make it bigger. Does anyone have ideas or thinks that would /could work? and secondly would i need one of those (fill in the blank) that turns the power on and off to maintain a warmer temp?

Thanks!

I have actually been considering doing this myself. Using a Love controller would allow you to maintain perfect temps with the fridge. I'm thinking about making a simple 2x4 framed box, insulating it, and then sticking the fridge (door removed) in the side. Using a thermowell stopper on the carboy would allow to to maintain perfect temps in the cabinet.

Yeah thanks! is a Love controller the only kind? Who sells these? and secondly what would be a good way to insulate where the box meets the fridge?

Thanks!

I made this from a small dorm fridge.

DSC01603.JPG

DSC01607.JPG

I now have a fan from a freezer blowing on the freezer plate, the small computer fans where not big enough.
DSC016021.JPG

Its been working great. No problems so far & I run a heater in it for the winter months also.

Back