Cascade seeds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daznz

Reaction score
Hi
I found some Cascade seeds in the bottom of the hop flower bag
Does anyone know if planted will you get cascade hops or are they are cross breed Propagated hop?
Like some apples if you plant the seed you may not get that apple.
Cheers Daza

I got some organic whole hops that had some seeds in it. The hops are great though!

In terms of planting, the way I understand it the only way to be able to accurately predict the AA content and hop characteristics is to start plants from rhysomes, which are root offshoots. Doing it this way preserves the genetic makeup of the plant from parent to child. The seeds will produce a plant that is a genetic mix of the male and female plant, and may have characteristics that are unlike the parent, aka, the hops you are using.

I had the same questions earlier this year, and I have decided to wait and plant rhysomes next spring, and wait the year before production.

Having said all that, ignore me and plant them! Have no idea what would happen!!!

Growers use female plants exclusively, so viable seeds are rare. Producing seeds takes energy away from producing resin, which lowers the alpha acid levels. Seeds also add weight to the hop and throw off people's calculations.

You will probably get something similar to Cascades, although anyone who has planted jalapenos next to bell peppers can tell you, life is full of suprises.

Here's one from some Northern Brewers. Mine are full of seeds all the time.

2639-hopseedNB.jpg

I had a bunch floating around in my wort from some saaz too, first time I had used whole leaf, I figured it was normal

Yep thats the seeds allright

I dont think growing from rhysomes will accurately predict the AA content as it
changes from year to year on the same plants....But i guess it will be closer
than growing from seed....

And yea i was surprized to see seeds as i allways thought thay were seedless
must have been a male hop plant some where
Daza

The AA level will certainly vary, one year you'll get 11% columbus, the next it's 13%, same vine. It's very dependent on the amount of sunshine towards the end of the growing cycle. Flavors and aromas are fairly constant. That's why if you grow your own, you should use a commercial hop that has been tested & labelled for bittering.

One of the local OSU hops experts says hops seeds are a lot like banana seeds, you get them, but most won't grow since the flower wasn't fertilized. Plant a bunch of them.

You guys are talking about hop seeds, right? I may not be pauyng fu la atnention because I've had a homrebew.

or two

ore more

:drunk:

Latest posts

Back