Older faucet shanks - parts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hipjimmer

Reaction score
I've got some old shanks in a four tap mushroom. These are smaller .5in OD shanks. These shanks take a straight brass tailpiece that goes through a rubber tapered grommet. When the nut slips over the tailpiece and threaded to the shank the rubber is drawn into the shanks sealing it. The rubber is getting a bit ratty. Given the nature of this rubber I would like a source for parts as keeping that all sanitary isn't as easy as the newer all stainless stuff. Anyone seen these and have parts sources?

I've tried all the usual including mcmaster and chi to no avail.

Do I attempt drilling it out and putting in all new?

Also, I'm all set for nitro on the one line and concerned that the higher pressure may be an issue as well.

So here I am talking to myself. Lonely in this thread.

But for those of you that have these types of shanks, turns out their threads must be metric. NPT, compression, etc. all don't work.

So I noodled around the HW store and it dawned on me. If a standard water faucet utilizes a beveled washer (and can hold up to 60PSI) lets try that.

It was hard getting the washer over the tailpiece but that was good since you don't want a leak there either. So now instead of the original washer being like a grommet and being inserted into the cavity of the shank, I have a beveled washer pushing against the outside of that shank. Tighten the nut and no leaks. And an endless supply of cheap parts.

Again, just documenting for someone else...

Sounds like you are describing exactly what I am running into. Mine is a 5 tap but the shanks look to be 1/2 inch with the small tapered grommet on back. Added an image of the shanks in stages of disassembly.

The CHI link does not come near what I am looking for. Did you ever find something that worked?

Shank.PNG

Bingo. That's my set up exactly. The beveled washer solution I describe above has been leak free. Slide the washer over the tailpiece so the beveled side seals the shank and tighten down. Actually, more descriptive would be slide the tailpiece through the beveled washer.

Where were these built? Any idea?

I have not tracked that info down yet. My tower came out of a very old bar in Jersey somewhere. I've seen similar towers in my area but I find the guts are different - when I can talk the bar into letting me pop the top. I'll look into those washers you mentioned.

If I turn up any more info I will add it here.

Latest posts

Back