First lager (oktoberfest)- Mash schedule and ferm temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smittygouv30

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm diving in for my 4th all grain batch and 12th overall batch. All have been ales to date. I've just put together a temperature controlled fermentation chest freezer. I'm intrigued by the thought of making an Oktoberfest and feel i'm ready to take the "lager plunge".

I have 2 questions.
1. What should I use for my Mash schedule (ie should I incorporate a two temperature Mash, or can i just get it to 153 for 60 minutes like my ales)?
2.Fermentation? The recommended fermentation temperature is 50-54 deg, how long should i hold the temperature here? When do I drop the temperature? What temperature should I drop it to? How long should I keep it there?

My recipe:
9lbs german vienna
2.5lbs german 2-row pilsener
1.25lbs german wheat malt
1lb Crystal 40L

2 oz Hallertau hops (1.5 60 min, .5 30 min) 7 gallon boil

Yeast: "X" German Lager WLP835 (recommended temp 50-54 deg)

Thanks for the advice!
Corey

1. Most modern malts are fully modified and don't necessarily need a rest at lower temps so the sac rest should be fine, but I'm no expert at this.

2. Hold at 50 until 80% attenuated, then raise to 60F for a diacetyl rest until fully attenuated. Then drop a few degrees per day until just above freezing for lagering.

1) single infusion works fine.

2) like ales it varies. usually like 10-21 days, then brief diacetly rest (1-2days) when its nearing end of fermentation (about 75% complete) before lagering. you can lager from 30-45F and generally like 2-8 weeks (some say 1 week per 2 plato)

not sure if you want advice on the recipe too, but personally I'd ditch the wheat & c40 for munich

Thanks to you both for the info. Any recommendations on a mash temperature. I've usually just stuck with 153 deg for my ales. Should I shoot lower or higher for an Oktoberfest or does 153 seem fair?

I'll stick with your recommendations for the lagerering. Thanks for the diacetyl rest tip.

I think 153 is a fine mash temp for that style. But if I were you I would omit the C40. As was mentioned above go with munich malt. Besides 1 pound of crystal is way to much IMO.

Thanks again for the pointers. 153 deg it will be. With the C40 I was hoping to pull out a light toffee flavor in the beer. I have no experience with the dark Munich malt. Can the Munich malt do the same?

Is 1 lb of C40 overkill? It's just under 8% of the grain bill.

Most here will recommend against 1lb of crystal. 0 to .25 is better, since the beer need not be too sweet.

Also, the wheat doesn't really fit this style.

And I'd recommend against the later 2 hop additions. They'll just interfere with the finer points of the style.

Swap the C40 for caramunich to add sweetness. 1lb is fine.
I'd probably swap the wheat with pilsen or two row since it's not to style.
SRM may be a bit light for the style. If so, you could add a little bit of Dehusked Carafa III to darken it. I like mine in the 10-12 range.

Back