Cap Labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atrus

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Does anyone have a good solution for putting round labels on caps? I'm hoping there's a standard Avery or some other label that'll fit well. Also, if there is one, please give the number and where you purchase it (if possible) and also what software you use to line up the labels in the printer.

I'd love to make some good looking labels for the caps because I won't have to scrape labels after each use. :rockin:

The only option I've found that works halfway well so far is using return address labels, doubling up on the printing (into two columns) and cutting them in half the short ways to stick on the caps. I haven't been able to find (read: too lazy) to order 1/2 round labels.

Avery part number 8257. In Office XP, in Word, click the Tools menu, then Letters and Mailings, (You may have to click the chevrons at the bottom of the menu to get it to show up. They look like >> but pointing down) then Envelopes and Labels.... On the new window that opens, click the Labels tab, then the Options... button and scroll through the list to find the type of label you want. Type your text in the window. In the lower left corner there's a radio button for single label or full sheet. I'd put it on single label until you get the label looking right.

Looking for an easy way to label your bottles without a huge expense..?

Check out http://www.gadgetcave.com.au/

You can purchase sheets of blank 1" round adhesive labels that fit neatly on top of bottle caps, be they crown, plastic, Grolch ect.

Free Word templates and tutorial provided.
Design and print your own labels.
Quick and easy to attach.

Throw away the label with the cap, so no more soaking and peeling.

Labels are posted world wide.
Here is a few examples that I have put on my own home brew bottles
beerbottles.jpg

White Avery 5408, 3/4" round. Yellow are #5462 I used "color coding" ones first, but 4 colors, one row of each, per sheet didn't work out. PITA to print one row. Now I've found white ones, I can color code the inkjet printing. I get four lines of print, plus the color code of the ink- Want a Flat Ass Tired? grab a yellow one. Want to know the age of it? Read the fine print. I've only ever had three batches at any one time, so far.

I get them at Office Depot, or Staples. My home/tertiary computer in Win 98 wouldn't open the template file I downloaded from Avery, but it wasn't too hard to make my own template- edge distances, margins, etc, were all doable in Microsoft Works as a label. Go to tools:labels:multiple labels:size:custom, etc Make sure to save it for next time.

It never occured to me to make pics that small. I'll have to try it, next batch.

After printing, I spray a coat of laquer on them. Prevents the ink running from the bottles sweating. Spray a couple very light coats, or the solvent will blur the ink. Then I stick them on 'over run' caps (after capping the bottles) to obscure the painted brand name.

I'd say 7/8ths would be the best diameter, but haven't found any yet.

They have "garage sale" round stickers on sale wherever office products are sold. I paid 89 cents for a package of about 50. They have different colors, too. I use those, and the fit nicely on the top of both regular bottle caps and grolsch stype caps.

Geez, I just realized I sound like a moron because I can't give you a size, type and name. I just asked for "garage sale" stickers at the local drug/sundries store.

Lorena

Latest posts

Back