Dented cans?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wereling

Reaction score
Hey all. I got a Beer Man homebrew kit for Christmas, and can't wait to try it out! Unfortunately, one of the cans of malt extract seems to have a rather large dent in it. Should i be concerned, the same way I would be with a can of vegetables or tomato sauce? Or should the extract still be OK?

It should be fine, especially if there's no visible puncture. Malt extract naturally preserves itself to a degree due to the extremely high sugar content, much like honey, so even if there was a small leak you'd still be fine.

As long as there's nothing growing on it, and the syrup doesn't taste or smell gross, there's nothing to worry about, as you should be boiling it anyway.

You are most likely fine, but I have heard that food inside dented cans can spoil quickly, I guess the same effect could happen with the extract. I wouldnt worry about it though.

Dented cans were a concern when they were made out of led. They don't make cans out of led anymore so it should be fine.

yezzo said:
Dented cans were a concern when they were made out of led. They don't make cans out of led anymore so it should be fine.

I assume you mean lead? When were cans made out of lead? I thought they were tin, then steel, and now aluminum.

I think the concern is if the dent is on a seam which may allow air and bacteria to enter.

Scimmia said:
I assume you mean lead? When were cans made out of lead? I thought they were tin, then steel, and now aluminum.

They used to use lead to seal cans....I think I saw that on a Modern Marvels episode about cans

wihophead said:
They used to use lead to seal cans....I think I saw that on a Modern Marvels episode about cans

Interesting, I didn't know that. I guess this was before they knew what effect lead had on people.

Thanks for the info!

Dented cans are half price, Microsoft went down 3 points.

sorry i am useless, you should be fine with the dented extract cans

Back