Cider fermented too long? need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_tripp

Reaction score
I'm making my first batch of Cider. I was hoping for a semi sweet cider but now it taste more like vinegar.

I used 5 gallons of preservative free Cider. It was pasteurized. I added 2lb. of brown sugar, yeast nutrients, acid blend, pectic enzymes, and used champagne yeast. OG = 1.065 (give or take) After 1 week I moved it to a carboy. I was going to bottle in 2 weeks, but my brewing buddy didn't make it over. I did try a sample and it was dry, so I added some sugar and apple juice to my cup and it wasn't that bad. Now gravity is bellow 1.0. I think it is close to .09. I tried adding sugar, but it didn't help. My plan was to add Splenda and some non-fermenting Apple flavoring, then prime and bottle. (I know, I need a keg)

My question is, can I bring the flavor/sweetness and gravity back up to bring back some taste, or is my cider helpless?

Thanks in advanced for your help.

search the forum on backsweetening to help salvage this batch

Next time, do it right, skip all of the additives, use an ale or wheat yeast and cold crash the ferment while it still has some residual sweetness from the natural apple sugar. Read the sticky for details. Use juice from good cider apples and not the storebought stuff

http://www.allaboutapples.com/orchard/index.htm

Welcome to HBT!
Some apple flavor will come back but as my friends above mentioned, it takes some time. Good cider is not a fast beverage.

Also, cider doesn't really need a lot of extra things added to it. My favorite "recipe" is apple juice, yeast, and time.

Ok, I like this idea. I was going to try some ale yeast, but how long do I wait to bottle?

BTW what is the difference between an American and English Cider. I'm looking more for a Woodchuck style.

Back