tell me what you think of my imperial ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1nitrous

Reaction score
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: coopers dry ale
Yeast Starter: no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: red star
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.145
Final Gravity: 1.08
IBU: 525.3
Boiling Time (Minutes): 125
Color: dark brown
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 4 @ 78
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 @ 78
Tasting Notes: strong and bitter

2 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 8.33 %
15 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 62.50 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.17 %
1 lbs Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 4.17 %
1.00 oz Sterling [7.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
3.25 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (100 min) Hops 98.3 IBU
8.00 oz Zeus [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 241.4 IBU
8.00 oz Zeus [14.00 %] (30 min) Hops 185.5 IBU
3.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
3 lbs Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 12.50 %
1 lbs Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 4.17 %
1 lbs Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 4.17 %

tell me what you think of my newest brew, had my first bottle tonight, a lot smoother then I thought it would be, actually very enjoyable, I call it dark knight

Looks great to me, though the fermentation time looks suspect, I would leave a beast like that on the yeast for a month. In any case I imagine after some age and dry hopping (after the aging) it would be really nice. Quite dark with the crystal and special B, but nice.

From 1.145 to 1.008? What planet did the yeast come from? :D

I'd add some orange juice.

From 1.145 to 1.008? What planet did the yeast come from? :D

I'd add some orange juice.

coopers for the first week and then 2 packs of good old red star Champagne yeast for the last 2 weeks, no pics of the brewing but i can take one of the finished product

beer.jpg

here is a pic of it

Oh, 1.080. I see. I misread that as "1.008"...so I assumed you were just messing with us. :D

"Strong and bitter" are rather incomplete tasting notes. 14 days of fermenting for such a large beer may not be optimal fermentation, especially at 78 degrees.

I'll move this to the "recipes" forum, and out of the database until it's a proven winner. Just let me know when to move it back into the database.

That's an attenuation 55% That has to be massively sweet, even with the IBUs. It's a big, under attenuated barleywine.

-edit- My math was backwards, the Apparent Attenuation is more like 45%. Looks like the yeast went after the simple sugars and then quit.

and it was actually fermented for 28 days its just after 14 I moved it in from being dry hopped with sterling and on to the nugget

This beer has tons of head still, but the flavor has progressed very nice, it when from hoppy with tons of alcohol, to more of like a whiskey flavor, a great beer to sip on

525 IBUs and your tongue hasn't melted off yet? I was thinking this recipe was a joke/satire until I saw the photo...

Well if you made it and like it, it was worth the effort!

looks pretty nasty to me! You have a lot of sugars and honey in there and then used champagne yeast?? Is there any balance at all to this brew?

525 IBUs and your tongue hasn't melted off yet? I was thinking this recipe was a joke/satire until I saw the photo...

Well if you made it and like it, it was worth the effort!

well its 525 virtual ibu's and the stupid beer smith program screwed up again, the final gravity was 1.008 it took alot of yeast and beano to bring it down to that level though

Back