What day is it kids? It's my 999 day.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSR402

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got everything set up last night, rig pulled up to the front garage, grains all weighed and crushed.
Now once the SWMBO gets done making me breakfast I'll get going on it.

I'll also be brewing BM's Centennial Blonde to kill some time while this monster is boiling. :D

Posting pictures as it goes. (can't do the video thing.. I feel so inadequate :( )

The rig is set up, water is in the HLT heating up to 180* to preheat the MLT
MVC-772S.JPG

Here is the sweet grain. The two in the back is the 999 grain and the one in the front is the blonde.
MVC-773S.JPG

My buddy never came over with his burner so I will need to run and get it or buy one, I need more LP anyways. So once the mash is going I'll make a run to get it all.

Strike water is going in.
MVC-774S.JPG

Mashed in and got it...
MVC-775S.JPG

At this point I ran to HD and picked up another burner and another LP tank.

Got home and fired up the kettel that had the 5 gallons of water I used to preheat the tun. I let this boil for 30 minutes and then ran it thru my CFC to clean and sanitize it.

cleaning the CFC

MVC-776S.JPG

The new burner with one of my converted keg fermenters that will be used as a keggle today.

MVC-777S.JPG

Mashout water going in.

MVC-778S.JPG

I ended up with a 75 minute mash because of having to run and get the burner and LP. No big deal.

All the mashout water is in and I have maxed out my 80qt tun.
MVC-779S.JPG

MVC-780S.JPG

The sparge water is heating and I'll start sparging in a few minutes.

Sparge is under way
MVC-781S.JPG

MVC-782S.JPG

I'm looking at some of the extra grains and hops I have sitting around and thinking I may bust out a 3rd 10 gal batch of something ontop of these two. Not sure yet, we will see how things go from here. :D

The sparge is done, 14 gal collected. Now the boil has started.

MVC-787S.JPG

The boil is going strong and the fan is keeping it from boiling over. About a gallon gone this far.

The strike water for the blonde is going in

MVC-788S.JPG

It seems my buddy wants the 3rd beer more then I do. He went and got his burner and took my sawsall to it so the keggel will sit on it. lol

MVC-791F.JPG

the 999 is down to about 8.7 gallons

MVC-792F.JPG

The blonde just got the first hops.

MVC-794F.JPG

nice brew day
i was happy to put ten up yesterday. Couldn't imagine having to put 20 or 30 into fermenters. Wow.. You are my new hero.

Sean

Damn nice, sir. :D

I'm hurtin' like crazy after puttin' up only 5, and not even the strong stuff! (1.040 SMaSH for a yeast cake for da Barleywine.)

The 999 is done and running thru the CFC.

MVC-795F.JPG

The Blonde is done and in the fermenting room

MVC-797F.JPG

And the 3rd one got it's first hops.

MVC-796F.JPG

I will take a OG of the 999 in a few minutes. This has been a long day, have been at it for 11 hours now and have been so busy that I have only had 2 beers all day.

Well I guess I should have batch sparged this and went for lower eff.
She finished at an OG of 1.150 at 60*

MVC-798F.JPG

This stuff is so thick I stuck my beer hydrometer into it and the bulb part was sticking out. Had to grab the wine hydrometer. :drunk:
Good thing I have an asston of US-05 that went into it.

Starting to chill the 3rd beer and then I'm done. Should be an hour or so yet.

The Blonde is done and in the fermenting room

MVC-797F.JPG

Dude, that's some knarly drywall. Did BierMuncher hang that?? :D

I will take a OG of the 999 in a few minutes. This has been a long day, have been at it for 11 hours now and have been so busy that I have only had 2 beers all day.

Tragic. You are brave to take on three brews in one day.

I think your 1.150 will best most of the folks on this forum. I'm speechless.

GO! GO! GO! You are almost there!!!!

3 beers in one day is alot of work my friend... I bow to your superior stamina and fortitude :D

HOLY GOOD SWEET CRAP MUFFIN! 1.150? That's gonna be jet fuel! :D WOWZA.

@Eddie, 3 more weeks. I'm out of town next week, then I gotta do a contest entry the following week, then I'll have time to Barleywine it up. Gives me time to get my order in for a new, bigger kettle. I don't see a Barleywine making it out of my little 30qt S/S pot. Unless I do first runnings of two different mashes, I had thought about doing that.

Excellent pictures! Did you seriously boil 14 gallons down to 5.5 or something...ridiculous!!

Get that fermentation temperature down, down, down.

I had a 1.114 Dark Strong that fermented too high and it really drove the fusels. Yours is gonna be an awesome beer, man.

I'm thinking I may pull a gallon out of that 999 and add back a gallon of water. That's going to be pushing 17% if the yeast can do it.

I'm all done and the brews are put away. Every thing is clean but I'll put it all back in the back garage tomorrow night. I'm beat, 13 hours on my feet with the only times I have sat down is when I come in to post.

Excellent pictures! Did you seriously boil 14 gallons down to 5.5 or something...ridiculous!!

Get that fermentation temperature down, down, down.

I had a 1.114 Dark Strong that fermented too high and it really drove the fusels. Yours is gonna be an awesome beer, man.

I have her in a tub of ice water and will add more ice in the morning. Hoping to keep her in the low to mid 60's. Hoping....

All the airlock are going and the beer is sitting at 61*. :rockin: I added a half gallon of water to her last night so that should pull it down into the 1.130's. Need more bottled water and if I cut it with another half gal it should be right on the mark for OG (and I'll have more beer to bottle. :D

Back