STC-1000 not playing nicely with chest freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upthink

Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of switching my ancient (15 yr old) 15cf chest freezer from temperature controlled fermentation chamber to overflow keg storage. The freezer has been unplugged for sometime because I only need a heating element running off the STC-1000 for fermentation this time of the year. Now, that I'm not fermenting anything, I have a handful of kegs that are sitting on deck. My up-stairs keezer is only 5cf and maxes our with 2 corny kegs. To expand my capacity, I want to utilize the larger chest freezer (located in the basement) to offer additional drinking options in a simple, primitive way (using picnic taps).

So, here's the problem: if I plug the freezer directly into an outlet it turns on and runs correctly. If I plug it into the cold side of the STC-1000 it doesn't start up (only clicks once without the compressor kicking on).

Since it's an older unit, I have the STC-1000 set to a 2+ degree Celsius differential and a 6 minute compressor delay. I also confirmed that the STC-1000 is rated at 120v / 10 amps. The freezer listed at 5amps, so the STC-1000 should be capable of powering it. I have sat around patiently waiting for it to start up without success.

I was worried that this freezer might be too old for reliability, but the fact I can plug it into the wall outlet with successful operation several minutes after it fails to start with the STC-1000 has me curious.

I know there are a lot of topics about the STC-1000 unit on HBT. I apologize if this is a common problem and I missed the other threads. If not, has anyone else experienced a similar issue? Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Plug in a lamp or something else into the controller to confirm that it is or is not working properly and go from there. It the controller works properly powering a lamp but not the freezer you may have a bad connection somewhere that is not allowing enough amps to be drawn for the compressor to kick on.

I have confirmed that the outlet on the cold side is working with a fan and light plugged in.

I'll get my hands on a multi-meter and see if I can run some additional tests.

Honestly, this freezer is so old that it could very well be the compressor failing. While I have had luck unplugging / replugging to by-pass the temp controller, it could have been pure luck that it decided to kick on.

I"ll continue to test.

Thanks!

As mentioned, check to make sure the wiring is ok by using a simple lamp or other small appliance. If you can hear the click of the relay after the 6 min delay, but aren't getting power to your test lamp, I'd check your wiring.

You are waiting for the 6 min delay after powering it on right?

Edit: Nevermind, my typing is too slow.

JuanMoore raises a good point. Plug it back into the STC1000 and walk away for 10 minutes. The device doesn't start up the heating or cooling until at least the first delay cycle. Come back in 10 minutes and it may be working.

JuanMoore raises a good point. Plug it back into the STC1000 and walk away for 10 minutes. The device doesn't start up the heating or cooling until at least the first delay cycle. Come back in 10 minutes and it may be working.

I kept everything connected for 24 hours without any luck with the compressor. Confirmed that the compressor still had issues independent of the STC-1000.

Unplugged and gave up. Returned a couple days later and tried again. Success. It's been operating flawlessly.

The freezer is 15 years old, so it's clearly a bit unreliable after my testing.

I'll hope for the best.

Thanks for the advice.

Any new advice? Same thing...wired up the STC to a working freezer and set the delay to 1 min and 8 degrees Celsius. We have a temp of 24 + ambient right now. When I bypass the STC and plug in direct, the freezer works. I must be dropping some amps in the wiring and not getting enough to kick the compressor on.

It seems to me the issue is within the STC, as the wiring is so simple and rudimentary. I have a second one on hand to test the theory.

Cheers,
Dan

I would just replace it. For the $15 is it really worth your hassle?

Got it fixed...there was a loose connection on one of the terminals of the freezer. I'm happily fermenting at 62 degrees now:ban:

Most people like to go with a longer compressor delay, to save wear and tear on the compressor, and extend the life of the freezer. I set mine at 10 min.

Brew on :mug:

Most people like to go with a longer compressor delay, to save wear and tear on the compressor, and extend the life of the freezer. I set mine at 10 min.

Brew on :mug:

Good suggestion! Appreciate the advice..

Cheers!
Dan

It will probably last for years and years... I have a 27cuft chest freezer for fermenting... I bought it when I got married in 1979! Works like a champ!

Does the freezer have a compressor delay built in?

The STC has a delay built in to protect the compressor. The settings are 1-10 minutes, with the default being 3 minutes. Its in the F3 Menu.

Cheers,
Dan

It will probably last for years and years... I have a 27cuft chest freezer for fermenting... I bought it when I got married in 1979! Works like a champ!

Right on! I've known deep freezers in the past to last a very long time. This one is probably quite old, but I don't know its history...its an old Nestle ice cream freezer that they give/sell/rent to vendors that sell their products. Not knowing the history I went ahead and set it at the max just to be on the safe side.

Cheers,
Dan

Back