Chocolate Wheat Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweed

Reaction score
I picked up some ingrediants for a chocolate stout. I was planning on adding some oats, but picked up wheat instead. Oh well, no biggie, and read flaked wheat is great for head retenion. I will just be steeping it with the other grains. I know you are supposed to 'mash' with some 2-row, but I'm not worried about that. I just want a thicker mouth from it.
2.5 Gallon Batch
Recipe:

4 lbs light dme
.5 lbs roasted barley
.5 lbs chocolate malt
.5 lbs black patent
.5 lbs flaked wheat
.5lbs lactose
2 oz mt. hood- 1 oz at 60min, and 1 oz around 15min.
4-5 oz. dark cocao powder- 10 mins
Cocoa Nibs, vanilla bean for secondary.
S-05 yeast. I also have some yeast (s-05) that I took from my last IIPA thats in the fridge, I'm thinking of using that first to see if it takes off, and the packet of s-05 for backup.

Goal is a sweet chocolate creamy stout.
I just got word we'll be getting out early at 1 today, so looks like I'll brew this up after I bottle my IIPA today. Lets hope I dont lose powah! :)

Even though it was an accident, I am interested to see how the wheat affects that brew. Let us know how it goes.

I definitely will , as I do with my other recipes on here. I read a few different threads on here after my purchase of flaked wheat, and it sounds like it will turn out fine.
I will brew this bad boy up tonight!

That looks like a pretty stout stout. Looks like OG will be about 61 with 7 of those from Lactose which will stay. My experience with DME is that it attenuates about 5% less than average for the yeast. That leaves the FG at 23. That sounds pretty sweet. The hops are what I would expect for 5 gallon batch, and in this 2.5 gallon batch will bring you to about 70 IBUs. It looks like a sweet stout / imperial stout hybrid. I'm not sure if that means you are going to end up with a beer with an identity crisis, or a genius new style. the level of cocoa makes it sound like hot chocolate. That might be good. The vanilla may get lost with all the other flavor. Regardless, you have a very bold beer. Looking forward to hearing how this one comes out.

That looks like a pretty stout stout. Looks like OG will be about 61 with 7 of those from Lactose which will stay. My experience with DME is that it attenuates about 5% less than average for the yeast. That leaves the FG at 23. That sounds pretty sweet. The hops are what I would expect for 5 gallon batch, and in this 2.5 gallon batch will bring you to about 70 IBUs. It looks like a sweet stout / imperial stout hybrid. I'm not sure if that means you are going to end up with a beer with an identity crisis, or a genius new style. the level of cocoa makes it sound like hot chocolate. That might be good. The vanilla may get lost with all the other flavor. Regardless, you have a very bold beer. Looking forward to hearing how this one comes out.

Thanks! I didnt want to use too much roasted barely and black patent, but the min grains we could buy were 8 oz.. and i said, whatever and dumped it in the mill to crush them. This is the same ratio as I used in my RIS ( with the choc malt), and that came out great. The lactose it to sweeten the chocolate up, and the wheat to thicken it up. The vanilla I will drop in there to enhance the cocoa powder/ nibs (if I even have to use the nibs in the secondary).
I checked the IBU's with my BrewR app, and I am getting 48- 49 IBU's, because My Hood is a low AA hop. I figure that's a good amount of hops to kind of balance it out a bit, but if the roast/ chocolate is more apparent, then thats good. I am going to steep this around 150, for only about 20 mins.

BTW Est. OG is 1.087 and est FG 1.023(great guess at the FG!)

Bold/ Fun beers are what I like... heck my 2nd beer was a 12% RIS with just about the same ratio's of grains, just more lme and extra fermentables, sans the wheat/ lactose. Vanilla beans, bourbon, oak chips added in the secondary.. heck it turned out great! I feel after a few brews (this will be my 6th) it will take a lot to make a bad beer.

I guess I am trying to make this like a Choklat from Southern Tier... that's one heck of a beer. Less abv than Choklat, but I didn't want this to me a huge beer. A big beer, because I like big beers. :mug:

Brew night went great, it ended up looking really thick and smelling good. OG was 1.086, so I hit that pretty good. I ended up with just a hair overt 2.5 gallons. You could def tell the wheat thickened it up when taking the steeping bag out, the liquid dripping was really thick, esp when I queezed the goodness out of it.

ForumRunner_20121031_195403.png

ForumRunner_20121031_195422.png

ForumRunner_20121031_195438.png

Got up early to hit the gym, and this was already going like mad. I noticed it start about 2 hours, maybe a little before that, after I pitched last night. Looks like that yeast harvest worked!

What temperature are you fermenting at? Are you using a water bath?

I left the windowns open, and it got down to fermenting at 66* according to my stick-on thermometer on my ferm bucket. The temp in the house was about 58, lol. I opened up the windows and figured that would be good as it got in the 40's last night. I kept them open as its going to only be in the mid 50's today. It's going to be high 40's and 50's for the highs for the next at least few weeks, so I should be good and probably wont need a swamp cooler.

edit: just saw you're in malden and know the upcoming weather; I used to live there a few years ago off of summer st and near the train station.

Sounds like fermentation is going well. when you described the fermentation activity I was afraid it might be fairly hot.

Small world! I live on Woodland rd, hence the name.

I just moved this to the secondary. I did soak some (3oz.) Bakers unsweetened chocolate in vodka last night. It made a really good extract, and I dumped that into the secondary, then real my stout on top. The sample, for some reason my taste buds are gone, I was eating some hot salsa while getting some beers with a friend, so that probably hurt it. But, I was able to taste the roasty chocolaty goodness slightly. For all that grains and chocolate, I expected more, but I tasted a few other things, and my taste buds need some time. So I'll keep this for another week, then bottle it. OG went lower than I expected it to, at 1.018. The cocoa still seemed suspended in it, but I was moving it around a little but before racking it, so I'm not surprised. The color is a very deep brown, which is not what I expected. T he wheat may have contributed to that as well as the cocoa? Maybe the yeast was still floating around in it to lighten it up, but I expected this to be black. After a week well see. But so far so good. I just wish I didn't burn my tongue on that hot salsa, dumb move!

ForumRunner_20121114_203343.png

That's 80% attenuation even with the lactose. us-05 is a beast! 1.018 is right in the middle of the BJCP final gravity for a sweet stout, so you should have no worries there.

That's 80% attenuation even with the lactose. us-05 is a beast! 1.018 is right in the middle of the BJCP final gravity for a sweet stout, so you should have no worries there.

I know, I expected it to be around 1.022. I took a look at it this morning, and it seems clearer and darker, all that funk was just floating around. I wish I could taste this last night, I'll make sure to keep the hot stuff away next wednesday. :cross:

I just remembered that I forgot about my vanilla bean for the secondary!! Whoops! I think I'll just leave it out this time, and I'll bottle this up Saturday, instead of leaving it for a week. Then I'll have some for Thanksgiving! :D

Back