Another slow Cider fermentation post

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBUPIMP

Reaction score
My ciders OG was 1.052. I pitched with Notty. Two weeks later air lock action is non-apparent and my gravity is 1.021.

Do I pitch another pack of Notty or shake carboy and take another reading in a week?

I was hoping to have this kegged and serve for Thanksgiving.

What temp are you fermenting at? You've lost gravity, so I take it that the cider is fermenting. What is the size of the batch, and how much yeast did you use? Did you pitch the yeast straight to the must, or make a starter?

I have 3 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy, pitched with a starter from two packets of Notty, fermenting along just fine at around 65°.

The fermentation temp is holding at 68. I pitched 1packet of Notty directly on top of the must.
The batch size is 5 gallons. I also added 2 pounds of corn sugar to up the starting gravity.
I have made this recipe 2 other times it usually finishes around 1.000

Are you sure you dont have a leak? With the sugar, your og would have been about 1.065 or so, in which case 1.021 after two weeks is not out of line, but you should still see airlock activity. what sort of juice did you use?

That was my first thought too but the plug is nice and tight (that's what she said...)
I used TreeTop per usual. I thought the OG seemed a bit low, usually it is closer to 1.065. I assumed my refractometer was having issues...

Back