$ Saving Tips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Dog

Orange whip?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I can see how using a grain mill will pay back the investment in short order. By buying gains in bulk, not paying to have them crushed, and possibly a better efficiency. All translate into cost savings per batch.

For me building a water filter will pay back the investment quickly as well. By not having to buy $10-12 in spring water on brew day.

I am just wondering what cost savings you guys have found.

Buying in bulk
Using tap water in lieu of bottled water
Buying dry yeast whenever possible

Buy RO water for .33 cents a gallon and build your water from there. That has been one thing saving me alot of money.

I just gave up on trying to save money with this hobby a long time ago. My grain mill was a big investment for my setup. i do save a little bit with buying sacks of grain but not much. The best part of the mill is being able to have enough ingredients to brew on command without going to a lhbs or ordering online.

Ah if only I had the space to get myself a grain mill and I wish that I lived in the right climate for growin hops -altough after reading more about cultivating hops maybe it doesn't matter too much what climate I'm in, hmmm... Lol, this makes me think of how often I feel like using the deionised water in my chem lab to fill a few brews worth of plastic bottles - now that would be saving money on water XD

Hmmm maybe I should see if I can find some holiday work in a brewery and maybe try and get some yeast from them. I've heard a few people on the forums getting yeast from brewpubs near them for nothing.

Chris_Dog said:
I can see how using a grain mill will pay back the investment in short order. By buying gains in bulk, not paying to have them crushed, and possibly a better efficiency. All translate into cost savings per batch.

For me building a water filter will pay back the investment quickly as well. By not having to buy $10-12 in spring water on brew day.

I am just wondering what cost savings you guys have found.

I know this is a little off topic, how do you like Hearts homebrew as a supplier?
Do they have a good selection?
How is thier grain crush?
Any other info that you can share?

I visit family over in Titusville, and pass right past it, so, if I can buy stuff there, why not?

Thanks
Josh

I do enjoy how casually people toss off suggestions like 'grow your own hops', or even buying in large bulk. For some of us living in the city, might as well say grow your own grain. The best way I've found to cut costs with limited space is to share equipment with other brewers in the area. You often get really cool stuff that other people made, and other people are willing to store. Most cities i know of have homebrew clubs, or at least a loose community.

Sherpa FE said:
I know this is a little off topic, how do you like Hearts homebrew as a supplier?
Do they have a good selection?
How is their grain crush?
Any other info that you can share?

I visit family over in Titusville, and pass right past it, so, if I can buy stuff there, why not?

Thanks
Josh

The 2 people that work at Hearts Hombrew are growing on me.

They have a pretty good selection but not as extensive as More Beer or Austin Homebrew.

I think the grain crush is awesome!:ban:

Several months ago they got lit up pretty good on this forum. (By a number of people including myself). I don't know if they read what was said OR they have gotten to know me as a customer (or both). At any rate it has been a much more pleasant shopping experience and they have a nice selection of craft brews.

If say you are expecting a Homebrew shop similar to the one Alton Brown visited on his hombrew show you will be disappointed. Their shop is much smaller and more cluttered. Dusty from the grain mill but smells really good :cross:

Back