inconsiderate/irresponsible people

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrapinj

Reaction score
have to vent/rant for a minute

came out to my car this morning parked on the street and noticed a lovely dent and scratch on the rear driver door

of course no note etc

car is just over 2 months old and now i have to deal with filing a police report and getting the door panel fixed

we're expecting our first child any day now and this is $hit i really don't need to deal with

why are people so fu©king irresponsible

I hear ya. I stopped driving 10 years ago because I couldnt put up with the nonsense that comes along with driving. Now I just take the train, which has proven to be 100% hassle-free :cross:

That's why I drive a beater. Go ahead, hit it with your car door, probably end up doing more damage to yours than mine.

That or you could buy this thing:

Last edited by a moderator:
i used to drive a 98 camry and got over 215k on it. i could park that thing anywhere and didn't give a **** what happened to it but with the new baby coming i needed something safer and reliable - i knew it wouldn't stay pristine for ever but i was hoping i could go longer than 2 months

i wish we had better public transportation options on the westside of LA

I had a guy hit my car while he was parallel parking. He literally ripped the bumper off of my car. Not the bumper cover, but the whole bumper. I wasn't at home. I found my bumper laying in the street. Good thing my neighbor saw the guy do it, and got his plate number and his phone #.

I called the guy and I agreed to keep the insurance companies out of the picture if he paid for the damage. Got an estimate for $2200. He freaked out and accused me of trying to rip him off. I said - 'You ripped the frggin bumper off of my car.' 'How much do you think that's going to cost to fix?' He said he'd take care of it. I hung up and never heard from him again. I left messages, no response.

Thank god my neighbor got the license plate number. I gave it to my insurance company and they were able to go after him.

What a jerk! I could have called the cops, but I gave him a break and he screwed me.

I used to drive a beat up wrangler in Chicago. When people would try to cut me off I wouldn't let them in. Big angular steel bumpers on my ride would have shredded their cars. That and I could park it anywhere

I loved my 1968 Volvo 145. Built like a tank and had the reputation. Some twit in a shiny new dress-up truck tried to push me into the oncoming traffic once. I just stayed the course and watched him run into the creek.

Someone busted a window in my van last month. I think it was intentional, based on the cracking pattern.

Nah, there are ignorant and irresponsible people everywhere.

This isn't a car story, but it illustrates society, I think.

I take my grandson (age 2) to the library for Story Hour. There are about a dozen or so kids. Most of the kids come with moms, but some come with babysitters or grandparents.

There is a HUGE sign on the library door- no cell phones.

so, during story time, some of the younger moms think junior is really cute, running around, tearing **** off of the walls, stomping on other kids' fingers as they sit on the rug. It's like a friggin' mosh pit.

So, this week the teacher tells the parents: "Since we have so many very young children, please keep your child with you, under your control, and if they get noisy, remove them from this room".

Ah, but, see, Jr is so CUTE when he runs and screams and pushes other kids. No lie- the young (22ish) mom next me is friggin' TEXTING while her son climbs on the tables, smacks other kids, screams, and grabs markers and writes on the walls. Completely clueless that every single person in the room exists, including the teacher (who has a degree in Early Childhood Education).

The saddest part is that many of the younger parents have this outlook.

Now, I said all that just to say that I have no hope for society as a whole. We do not teach our children to accept responsibility for our actions, to be polite, to be considerate, or to be honest. It's all about ME and what I want and what feels good to ME.

If I scratched your car, well, I guess it sucks to be YOU. It wasn't my fault, because I was late for work and my boyfriend was texting me and your car was in my way.

I know that every generation blames the one before (Uggh, 80's Mike and the Mechanics reference) but really I don't think the person who did this was a 60 year old adult. Anybody 45+ would have left a note, a phone number, and an apology. Sorry, but I'm old and crabby.

That's probably true Yooper but I'll relay two events.

I've had two little old ladies run into my car, one crossed three lanes of traffic while I tried to get out of the way, the other backed into me in a grocery store parking lot. The first lady chewed me out and told the cop that I came out of nowhere! He told me he could tell what really happened and it was all good. The other didn't even realize she even hit anyone. I got out of my car and walked up to her window to politely inform her that she hit me. She immediately started with something to the effect of 'I didn't hit you. What are you talking about?! You probably hit me!" It was crazy.

Little old ladies or not, they were mean!

Nah, there are ignorant and irresponsible people everywhere.

This isn't a car story, but it illustrates society, I think.

I take my grandson (age 2) to the library for Story Hour. There are about a dozen or so kids. Most of the kids come with moms, but some come with babysitters or grandparents.

There is a HUGE sign on the library door- no cell phones.

so, during story time, some of the younger moms think junior is really cute, running around, tearing **** off of the walls, stomping on other kids' fingers as they sit on the rug. It's like a friggin' mosh pit.

So, this week the teacher tells the parents: "Since we have so many very young children, please keep your child with you, under your control, and if they get noisy, remove them from this room".

Ah, but, see, Jr is so CUTE when he runs and screams and pushes other kids. No lie- the young (22ish) mom next me is friggin' TEXTING while her son climbs on the tables, smacks other kids, screams, and grabs markers and writes on the walls. Completely clueless that every single person in the room exists, including the teacher (who has a degree in Early Childhood Education).

The saddest part is that many of the younger parents have this outlook.

Now, I said all that just to say that I have no hope for society as a whole. We do not teach our children to accept responsibility for our actions, to be polite, to be considerate, or to be honest. It's all about ME and what I want and what feels good to ME.

If I scratched your car, well, I guess it sucks to be YOU. It wasn't my fault, because I was late for work and my boyfriend was texting me and your car was in my way.

I know that every generation blames the one before (Uggh, 80's Mike and the Mechanics reference) but really I don't think the person who did this was a 60 year old adult. Anybody 45+ would have left a note, a phone number, and an apology. Sorry, but I'm old and crabby.

Those aren't people, they are demons from hell Yooper...

Haven't you ever seen the true documentary "Frailty"?

Forstmeister and David reminded me of an incident that happened when I was in high school.

I drove a beat up Plymouth Reliant. I even found out at one point that the rear axle was not attached to the car! The weight of the body somehow kept it in place. Crazy crap. Well one day I was in an exit lane that was moving slow and some guy from the middle lane tried to squeeze in at the last minute. He was driving a brand new Lexus. Since we were going slow, we were literally able to talk to each other and he said "You better let me in kid or I'm going to hit your car." I laughed and stated the obvious: I paid $200 for my car, you're driving a brand new Lexus. Go ahead. ;)

A couple of years ago, I bought a new WRX. My first brand new car. Cost me a fortune, although I got a good deal. I was proud. The first day I drove it to work and parked in a lot. At lunch I get my friends and we go out to look at my brand spanking new car. Somebody had opened their door (or something) and put a huge dent/ crease on the front quarter panel. Being right on the bent part, it was screwed. I never even got it fixed and until the day I sold it, that dent drove me crazy.

Never have I hated people so much as that day.

Airborneguy said:
Forstmeister and David reminded me of an incident that happened when I was in high school.

I drove a beat up Plymouth Reliant. I even found out at one point that the rear axle was not attached to the car! The weight of the body somehow kept it in place. Crazy crap. Well one day I was in an exit lane that was moving slow and some guy from the middle lane tried to squeeze in at the last minute. He was driving a brand new Lexus. Since we were going slow, we were literally able to talk to each other and he said "You better let me in kid or I'm going to hit your car." I laughed and stated the obvious: I paid $200 for my car, you're driving a brand new Lexus. Go ahead. ;)

In my last car, i had some guy start tail gating me and actually tap into my rear bumper on purpose because he was pissed I merged in front of him. We pulled over and I was happy to point out to him (in front of his wife) that his new beamer was much nicer than my car and he was welcome to hit my car as much as he wanted. He quickly realized he was the ass in the situation. I know he had to get an ear full of **** from her when they pulled away

My grandfather always said that people should be required to personally scratch or dent any vehicle they buy before leaving the lot. I think there is something to that.

I would elaborate but if you get it... you get it.

My grandfather always said that people should be required to personally scratch or dent any vehicle they buy before leaving the lot. I think there is something to that.

I would elaborate but if you get it... you get it.
Buddy of mine in college worked part-time for a farmer about 40 miles away. Josh (my buddy) was out helping the guy (can't remember, I'll call him Ed) build fence. Ed had just bought a brand-new F150, so Josh was carefully leaning the metal fence posts against the bed of the truck. Ed got pissed that Josh wasn't working as fast as he could, took a fence post and rammed it down the full length of the pickup box, gouging it down to bare metal, and creasing the body. Handed the post to Josh, said "There. It's scratched. Now get to work."

That's probably true Yooper but I'll relay two events.

I've had two little old ladies run into my car, one crossed three lanes of traffic while I tried to get out of the way, the other backed into me in a grocery store parking lot. The first lady chewed me out and told the cop that I came out of nowhere! He told me he could tell what really happened and it was all good. The other didn't even realize she even hit anyone. I got out of my car and walked up to her window to politely inform her that she hit me. She immediately started with something to the effect of 'I didn't hit you. What are you talking about?! You probably hit me!" It was crazy.

Little old ladies or not, they were mean!
Last week, I witnessed something similar. One of the more well-off, but older (I think he was on the R&D team for dirt) gentlemen in town was walking out the door of Casey's (regional gas station) as I was walking in. Got in his new(er) Cadillac, and didn't realize he put it in reverse instead of drive. As I was walking back out the door, there was an ENTIRE construction crew, fully decked out in their safety yellow shirts and retro-reflective vests, whistling, yelling, and waving their arms at him.... as he slowly backed into the car behind him. Ultra-low speed impact - didn't even crack the plastic bumper covers on either car. But what's he do? Puts it in gear and slooooooowly drives away.

dkwolf said:
Buddy of mine in college worked part-time for a farmer about 40 miles away. Josh (my buddy) was out helping the guy (can't remember, I'll call him Ed) build fence. Ed had just bought a brand-new F150, so Josh was carefully leaning the metal fence posts against the bed of the truck. Ed got pissed that Josh wasn't working as fast as he could, took a fence post and rammed it down the full length of the pickup box, gouging it down to bare metal, and creasing the body. Handed the post to Josh, said "There. It's scratched. Now get to work."

I was working at a golf course in college and we were loading lumber in the bosses pickup. We were doing it carefully when the boss came out and yelled that we were taking too long. He grabbed a 2 x4 and threw it on the truck-right through the back window. It was the funniest damn thing I ever saw. He sheepishly walked away saying to carry on as before.

Back