What is Forbidden Fruit really good for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edecambra

Reaction score
Ok folks, I have a dilemma. I recently started slanting yeast and like most beginning yeast ranchers, I wanted as diverse a yeast library as I could muster, and I figured this meant getting all types of yeast I could find. I recently realized that re-propagating every 6-8 months (as I've found I need for good viability) makes keeping tons of strains on hand a PITA! I want to get it to a core base of strains that will make banking more manageable.

Anyway, I've been carrying around this strain, Forbidden Fruit, from a discounted Wyeast (outdated pack sale) for many months without every using it for brewing a batch, and I don't plan on using it too soon. I know that this yeast is described as a Belgian wit yeast, but what else can it ferment well? I am looking to trim down my bank, and I already have Abby Ale and Belgian saison, and am just wondering if it is worth it to have a strain hanging around for a particular type of beer that I don't plan on brewing anytime soon.

I need some anecdotal tales of Forbidden Fruit gone good in more than just a wit. Are there any?

Wit.

It's apparently one of Hoegaarden's yeasts and goes very well in a wit. It's funky and a bit tart. It allows a wit that has some spice additions - I used bitter orange peel, coriander and grains of paradise - to be more balanced with other flavours.

I prefer it to WY3944 for a wit.

I have a question about fruit. I am making a batch of skeeter pee and I added one pound of frozen raspberries to my primary. Just curious does anyone know if they will go bad? Or does fermentation prevent that

Ok folks, I have a dilemma. I recently started slanting yeast and like most beginning yeast ranchers, I wanted as diverse a yeast library as I could muster, and I figured this meant getting all types of yeast I could find. I recently realized that re-propagating every 6-8 months (as I've found I need for good viability) makes keeping tons of strains on hand a PITA! I want to get it to a core base of strains that will make banking more manageable.

Anyway, I've been carrying around this strain, Forbidden Fruit, from a discounted Wyeast (outdated pack sale) for many months without every using it for brewing a batch, and I don't plan on using it too soon. I know that this yeast is described as a Belgian wit yeast, but what else can it ferment well? I am looking to trim down my bank, and I already have Abby Ale and Belgian saison, and am just wondering if it is worth it to have a strain hanging around for a particular type of beer that I don't plan on brewing anytime soon.

I need some anecdotal tales of Forbidden Fruit gone good in more than just a wit. Are there any?

Why not maintain frozen stocks instead of slants?

I keep about 12+ strains on hand in slants. I don's find it to be that much of a pain at all. I keep 2 slants of every strain so that I always have a backup. What might make my process easier is that I have roughly 50 1 dram vials that I got at discountvials.com. I think I paid a little over $25 for them. With 50 slants pre-made I simply re-slant my slanted yeast on the other half of my slants. So I only have to make my slants once a year.

This has worked well for me for the past 10 years. I only re-culture about 3-4 times before I go back to the original source of yeast for my slants. This ensures I keep a fairly un-mutated state of each yeast strain.

edecambra, did you ever find something cool to do with the forbidden fruit?

Ha, not yet. I might play around with using it in my Saison recipe, as the Belgian Saison strain I am using now is too finicky for my tastes (although it sure is tasty). I might also use it in some beers like Belgian pale, etc too. If I do, I'll report back with my results. I almost want to keep it just for the name, it sounds so mysterious.

I dont have a clone recipe, but on topic:
Forbidden Fruit wreaks to high heaven when its fermenting. Last 2 times I used it, I found myself having to convince SWMBO I didnt just massively fart when I opened the chest freezer. Apparently I carried the smell all the way down the hallway.
It cleans up once its finished and is nice and fruity. I've used it in a blend of yeasts for both a saison and a sour farmhouse ale. Both turned out very nice

I dont have a clone recipe, but on topic:
Forbidden Fruit wreaks to high heaven when its fermenting. Last 2 times I used it, I found myself having to convince SWMBO I didnt just massively fart when I opened the chest freezer. Apparently I carried the smell all the way down the hallway.
It cleans up once its finished and is nice and fruity. I've used it in a blend of yeasts for both a saison and a sour farmhouse ale. Both turned out very nice

I used it once for a White IPA and it stunk like rotten eggs for the first few days. I kept some of the starter and it was in a mason jar in the fridge for the last 6 months and I would like to use it sometime next month. So I woke it up by decanting and adding some fresh malt extract. After 3 days there is a lot of viable cells again.

I'll make a proper starter with it when the time comes but I'm trying to decide on what to do with it.

I already have a wit so was thinking of making a Raging ***** inspired Belgian IPA. Aim for 6% Abv. instead of 8% to make it a bit more sessionable.

I found a recipe Grand Cru Cuvee Van De Keizer by the way but would like to brew something a bit simpler for now.

Back