Autumn Seasonal Beer Samhain Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too, this is a great beer and a crowd pleaser. My father even liked it and he has been drinking MGD for as long as I can remember.

I believe I'm going to make this my first all grain brew... Still gathering equipment to do an all grain but I think this will make a perfect starting brew! Thanks for the recipe!! I'll let you know how it turns out!

gjbarron41 said:
I believe I'm going to make this my first all grain brew... Still gathering equipment to do an all grain but I think this will make a perfect starting brew! Thanks for the recipe!! I'll let you know how it turns out!

You're going to mash 3+ lbs of pumpkin for your first AG? Brave. Don't forget the rice hulls.

g-star said:
You're going to mash 3+ lbs of pumpkin for your first AG? Brave. Don't forget the rice hulls.

This was my first AG beer too lol... The pumpkin part wasn't bad. The rice hulls kept everything in check, and my stainless braid was brand new.

g-star said:

Well this thread is extremely informative barring any complications or stupid mistakes on my part it should go pretty smooth... That's what I keep telling myself anyways : )

gjbarron41 said:
Well this thread is extremely informative barring any complications or stupid mistakes on my part it should go pretty smooth... That's what I keep telling myself anyways : )

The only piece of advice I can give you is to not be tempted to use more spices than the man says. I did, and I wished I hadn't. Also, this would make an awesome base for an English pale ale w/out the spice.

bottlebomber said:
The only piece of advice I can give you is to not be tempted to use more spices than the man says. I did, and I wished I hadn't. Also, this would make an awesome base for an English pale ale w/out the spice.

+1 on the spices

I am planning on brewing this beer this weekend hopefully.
I just read through all 25 pages of this thread as well....so I think I am ready for it, as this will only be my 3rd all grain batch.

I was thinking of adding vanilla extract and saw that some people did so. I strictly bottle at this time so should I add the vanilla to the bottling bucket and rack on top of that or is there a better option?

I am still new to this...so thanks in advance for answering.

Also I will be toasting the malt tonight. After toasting I am going to let it sit in a paper bag until we brew.
Should I crush them before putting them in the bag (after toasting of course) or crush them on my brew day?

Thanks again

I am planning on brewing this beer this weekend hopefully.
I just read through all 25 pages of this thread as well....so I think I am ready for it, as this will only be my 3rd all grain batch.

I was thinking of adding vanilla extract and saw that some people did so. I strictly bottle at this time so should I add the vanilla to the bottling bucket and rack on top of that or is there a better option?

I am still new to this...so thanks in advance for answering.

Add to the bottling bucket. Just remember to go light. Better to not have as much as you would like than to have more than you like.

Also I will be toasting the malt tonight. After toasting I am going to let it sit in a paper bag until we brew.
Should I crush them before putting them in the bag (after toasting of course) or crush them on my brew day?

Thanks again

Crush on brew day.

KingBrianI said:
Add to the bottling bucket. Just remember to go light. Better to not have as much as you would like than to have more than you like.

Thanks for info. I don't want to over power the batch with vanilla. How much would you recommend?

We actually decided to do this receipt twice. Once with vanilla and once without.

hoping to brew this tomorrow night, do you add the pumpkin hot into your mash or do you wait for it to cool? Just wondering how to go about hitting mash temps with 300 degree pumpkin getting added with the grain. Cheers!

hoping to brew this tomorrow night, do you add the pumpkin hot into your mash or do you wait for it to cool? Just wondering how to go about hitting mash temps with 300 degree pumpkin getting added with the grain. Cheers!

Let it cool to approximately mash temp before mashing in. That should keep your temps about right.

well didn't happen last night...any reason I couldn't bake the pumpkin in the morning and let it cool during the day so it's ready to mash when I get home from work? Would sit in the over for about 9 hours during my work day. If I start baking and cooling after work my brew day will extend into the wee hours of the morning. Thanks.

well didn't happen last night...any reason I couldn't bake the pumpkin in the morning and let it cool during the day so it's ready to mash when I get home from work? Would sit in the over for about 9 hours during my work day. If I start baking and cooling after work my brew day will extend into the wee hours of the morning. Thanks.

That should work. I normally wouldn't advise leaving food out for so long at room temps after cooking but since it's going to get boiled and fermented and all that I don't think it's a big deal. Just realize that the cool pumpkin could bring down mash temps unless you reheat it before add to the mash.

Hi! Thanks for the recipe. In spain the people doesnt this style of beer. I will try!

Regards!

I am gonna brew this up as well as thunderstruck. i have citra, simcoe, and amarillo on hand, anyone think any of these would work? i thought simcoe may be ok adjusted to these ibus

lex990 said:
i have citra, simcoe, and amarillo on hand, anyone think any of these would work?

I wouldn't waste those pricey/hard to get hops on this beer. Make an IPA! I also think the fruitiness, citrusy or piney hops could clash with the pumpkin & spices. You just need a bland bittering hop. good luck!

So I brewed this yesterday and followed the recipe fairly well. I didn't have all of the grains on hand, but I did have Denny's 1450 and some Magnum. Followed all of the spice, molassas, and pumpkin (sprinkled with brown sugar before baking for some extra caramelly goodness). Here is my grain bill:

5# MO
3# US 2-row (ran out of MO....)
1# Toasted MO
1# Crystal 40L
4oz Vienna
4oz Munich
2oz Crystal 60L
20z Honey Malt

Basically added those small amounts of the last four malts to make up for any nutty/toasty/round flavors that I might have missed by subbing the 8# of GP with 5# MO and 3# 2-row.

Smelled and tasted amazing going into the fermenter - I boiled off more than I expected, and ended up with a higher efficiency (1st time double milling the grain...) so I ended up with just shy of 5 gallons of 1.067 wort. I may dilute with a gallon or 1/2 gallon of boiled and chilled water to bring the abv down a bit - and make it last longer in the pipeline! Happily bubbling away at 64 degrees in my fermentation chamber. Thanks KingBrian!!!

I boiled off more than I expected, and ended up with a higher efficiency (1st time double milling the grain...) so I ended up with just shy of 5 gallons of 1.067 wort. I may dilute with a gallon or 1/2 gallon of boiled and chilled water to bring the abv down a bit

So what do you think about my high OG?? Should I let it ride or dilute? I think that with a beer like this, it can stand up to the higher ABV, and might actually be nice on a cold fall day our after a meal.

So what do you think about my high OG?? Should I let it ride or dilute? I think that with a beer like this, it can stand up to the higher ABV, and might actually be nice on a cold fall day our after a meal.

Yeah, like you said, I think it will be good at the higher ABV. I'd leave it as is.

I'm actually thinking about brewing my batch of this beer to a higher ABV this year as well, then adding graham cracker extract and vanilla extract for a pumkingy-type beer.

I made this last year and am gearing up to make it again. My issue last year is that you couldn't taste any pumpkin whatsoever. The spices came through nicely but no pumpkin. Not even a hint of it.
Which makes me think that putting in the mash followed by the boil is just killing the flavor. Seems to me you'd want to add the pumpkin to the fermenter. Has anyone tried that?

The dirty secret about pumpkin ales is that the pumpkin adds no flavor, body, mouthfeel, etc. It's really all about the spices.

I've brewed them with and without carmelized pumpkin (in the mash), and the differences were almost non-existent, IMO. So, it's not really worth the effort or $$ to include pumpkin, but others may differ in opinion on this.

Either way, adding it after fermentation is asking for trouble. At best, it will gum up your beer and make it hazy, at worst you'll end up with an infection.

The dirty secret about pumpkin ales is that the pumpkin adds no flavor, body, mouthfeel, etc. It's really all about the spices.

It does seem to me to add an awesome color though. This brew is one of the nicest copper / orange colored beers that I've ever seen.

I'm not sure. Ive done both with and without. I think adding the pumpkin gives it a vegetable like character.

I'm not sure. Ive done both with and without. I think adding the pumpkin gives it a vegetable like character.

That doesn't sound 'good'. I've never experienced that character, but this is only my second pumpkin beer and its only 2 weeks in primary. Are you saying that your experience with adding pumpkin is bad because of this??

OCBrewin said:
That doesn't sound 'good'. I've never experienced that character, but this is only my second pumpkin beer and its only 2 weeks in primary. Are you saying that your experience with adding pumpkin is bad because of this??

No, not at all. Quite the opposite. I think it adds that little something that may be lacking in beers that just use spices. You may notice it slightly, but you can tell something is different, at least i can.

I once listen to a podcast from Basicbrewing.com about pumpkin beers. And they conducted a blind taste test with those made with and without pumpkin. And they could tell those made with pumpkin because of the slight vegetable taste and aroma. Again, nothing sickly about the taste. I guess it's like homemade pies that use real pumpkin and those mass produced. Both smell like pumpkin pies. But, If you know your pies, you can pick out those that use real pumpkin from those who use artificial flavors.

But with that said, I really don't see adding mass amounts of real pumpkin to your beers. Because its true, you only gain aroma and that slight taste. But that may be the little extra needed to turn a good to great.

From my experience, using one 29oz. can for a 5 gallon batch is plenty. But cooking in 325 degree oven for at least 45minutes is a must.

Making this beer now, noticed that the toasting of the MO makes the grain taste a bit like roasted pumpkin seeds-cool.

Also, bit of a change up-when cooking pumpkin split 5 marshmallows on the top before baking for kicks. They completely caramelized and melted away. Mashing now....

Toasting the marris otter, smells fricking amazing. I'm going to brew this on 8/31 as I have off, long weekend :ban:

Thanks Brian for the interesting recipe, I'll post a pick of a pint in 3 months.

natureboy68 said:
Any ideas how to get this recipe in ibrewmaster??

What do you mean? Just plug it in...

Samhain Pumpkin Ale

Style: Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer OG: 1.054
Type: FG: 1.013
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 5.37 %
Calories: 176 IBU's: 24.69
Efficiency: 70 % Boil Size: 6.23 Gal
Color: 8.5 SRM Batch Size: 5.00 Gal
Preboil OG: 1.048 Boil Time: 60 minutes

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
(none)

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
8.00 lbs 65.31 % Fawcett Golden Promise Pale Malt 60 mins 1.038
1.00 lbs 8.16 % Fawcett Caramalt 60 mins 1.034
1.00 lbs 8.16 % Wheat, Torrified 60 mins 1.036
0.25 lbs 2.04 % Molasses 60 mins 1.036
1.00 lbs 8.16 % Briess Rice Hulls 60 mins 1.000
1.00 lbs 8.16 % Fawcett Maris Otter Pale Malt 60 mins 1.038

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
0.50 ozs 24.69 Magnum 60 mins 14.00

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.00 pkg Denny's Favorite 50 Wyeast Labs 1450

Additions
Amount Name Time Stage
1.00 tsp Cinnamon Powder 15 mins Boil
0.50 tsp Allspice 15 mins Boil
0.50 tsp Ginger Root 15 mins Boil
0.25 tsp Nutmeg 15 mins Boil
0.25 tsp Cloves, Ground 15 mins Boil

Notes
Caramelize 2 x 60 ounce cans Libby's pumpkin at 350 for I hour

Toast Maris Otter at 350 for 30 minutes

www.iBrewMaster.com Version: 2.820

Sent from my iPhone

Am I ready for this brew? I have never been so excited to brew, looking forward to fall, such a hot summer.

dxee5c.jpg

First time ever washing yeast, I'm going to use US05 and mash at 154/155 for a thicker mouthfeel.

19uu5j.jpg

Back