Any suggestions on simple Root Beer making?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidcr80

Reaction score
I am celebrating my daughters 1st Birthday on Valentines' Day 2012 with a party with lots of parents and kids. I have a Wheat named after her "Prairie's Wheat" that will debut for the older crowd, but as there will be many other kids there I thought it'd be fun to have a Root Beer or Cream Soda as well!

What are some good yet simple Root Beer Kits or recipes? Any suggestions?

if you have the ability to keg, you can buy a gal of Sprecher syrup, mix with 4 gal of water, add a bit of vanilla extract to taste and force carb. it makes a great root beer, we always keep it on one of our taps for the kids.

OK. So, to keg is a must.?..no way to carbonate the bottles I presume...? Is it an instant drink then?

I read somwhere if you have a large drink cooler .....like football teams use to dump gatorade all over the coach...........you can use dry ice to make rootbeer in the cooler with the top on it.....you have to burp it but the dry ice disolving in the rootbeer mixture carbonates it without a keg......I know i read it on this site somwhere......

It's easier to deal with as an instant drink. Sugar, flavoring, carbonated water.

When you ferment, you have to deal with the initial sugar and yeast, letting it carbonate until the desired level and then chilling to halt the carbonation process. And there's alcohol byproducts which some people don't feel comfortable with, or at least giving it to kids not your own.

it's easier to keg side. you can make it with yeast too, though. when i do that, i make it in two litre bottles. keep at room temp til the bottle is firm like a wrote bought 2 litre, then cold crash for a few days to dissolve the co2 into the soda.

Back