head, but flat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would help to know a wee bit more about how you got to this point. Style, extract/partial/all grain, mash profile if mashed, bottled or kegged, etc...

Cheers!

Need more details...

Is this in bottle or keg? How long since bottled or put on gas for keg? How long in fridge before pouring (either)? If in keg, how did you carbonate?

For bottles, if you didn't go a full 3 weeks at 70F BEFORE chilling for 5-7 days, do so. If in keg, there are more factors. If you have it at the correct PSI, at the temperature it's at, for long enough, it will carbonate to that level.

Bottom line, chances are, you just need to be more patient...

keg, force it, but then cut the gas totally because it was putting out nothing but foam, even let off some of the co2 thinking that might help. has been aging with the gas on for a few weeks. think i might have over carbed the force carb....but would not think it would taste flat. it is an all grain fat tire clone....

With kegging, I would follow the advise in the sticky by Bobby_M for carbonating it. Basically, 24-48 hours at 30psi (at temp), then reduce to serving pressure for a week before pulling a glass/pint. If you're lines are short (~5') try going with longer lines. Typically, you see mention of 1'/1PSI of serving pressure. Most often, that works out to being 10' lines if in a brew fridge/keezer.

I'm still balancing my faucet system since I just hooked it up to the kegs this afternoon. I have 10' of beer line going to each keg that's on a faucet. My serving pressure is 10-12psi and the brew is at 40-42F. I have a new regulator on it's way that's a dual body, so I'll be able to feed two different pressures into the fridge. That way, I'll be able to carbonate different styles of brew accordingly.

If you have just one, I would make sure you give it enough time at to carbonate. Don't rapid force carbonate it. Go with either Bobby_M's method or use the 'two weeks at serving pressure/temp' method... It's plastered all over the place here. Also use this chart for PSI at temp to get CO2 volumes. http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

I have thebsame problem. I used a Brewer's Best IPA kit, started on July 4th. I kegged it on August 21st. I used 1lb of priming sugar and let it set at room temp for 2 weeks. I hooked it up to the gas yesterday.

When I pull a pint, there's about 1-1.5" of beer and the rest is head. When it settles, the beer tastes flat.

How can I fix this?

I have thebsame problem. I used a Brewer's Best IPA kit, started on July 4th. I kegged it on August 21st. I used 1lb of priming sugar and let it set at room temp for 2 weeks. I hooked it up to the gas yesterday.

When I pull a pint, there's about 1-1.5" of beer and the rest is head. When it settles, the beer tastes flat.

How can I fix this?

I hope you didn't really use a pound of priming sugar. Assuming a 5 gal batch size, that's ~5-8 times more sugar than required for proper carbonation.

Back