Aerated Hot Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tick_daddy

Reaction score
Well, like an idiot, I started reading Palmer's "How to Brew" after I put a couple beers into primary. I read that aerating hot wort (above 80 degrees) is not smart and will cause oxidation. I whisked the s&*% out of mine at about 120 degrees. Anything I can do now? Or just wait to drink stale, cardboardy beer?

You'll be fine. The "hot side aeration" stuff you read about is one of those things that is hotly debated, especially as to if it has any effect on the homebrew level.

When using my wort chiller I slosh it up and down as well as stir the hell out of my kettle to move the beer across the coils, to get the wort cool faster, and start aerating the wort prior to yeast pitcihing, and I've never had an issue.

A lot of those "boogeymen" you read about in How to Brew, like autolysis, and has, are really worst case scenarios that rarely happen to homebrewers despite the boneheaded things we do to beer.

Read this thread What are some of the mistakes you made...where your beer still turned out great!

And you'll see.

Back