I can't believe how dumb I was!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cabal09

Reaction score
:DSo here is my story; I woke up early today to make a starter for my Helles that I am brewing on Monday (I am active duty, gotta love holidays):rockin: So I my normal routine is to boil some water, sanitize my flask, stir bar, scissors, foam stopper etc. Well everything is going to plan, I mean I must have done this a hundred times (cocky):D. Add some extract, boil, add some nutrient, poor into flask, cover and start cooling in an ice bath. So I get dressed, then I remember I forgot to put my thermometer in the flask to make sure I hit my temp. Here is where the story gets funny, I go to my garage and grab it and shove it into the flask. Guess what I didnt do? I forgot to sanitize it :(. So I guess I am screwed, I can chance it or make the hour drive and get more yeast. Oh well live and learn I guess.:mad:

I have money on the yeast beat out whatever was on the thermometer...all you can do is wait and see...

I think you will be good... the yeast population is mostly likely far greater then whats on your thermometer. Through some hop pellets in the starter.... maybe they can further deter bacteria growth..?

I was thinking the same thing... if the thermometer was clean, at least, I can't imagine there were that many nasties on it. (A clean dry piece of plastic/glass is not exactly a bacterium's idea of a good place to take the wife and kids for a vacation) The yeast oughtta out-reproduce 'em and save yer ass.

I gotta admit, there was a period of time when I had stopped sanitizing the inside of my wine thief for some stupid reason. I guess I just forgot. I did this several times in a row. Never had an infected batch...

I take it you didn't realize until you added the yeast? If you had realized, you could have just boiled it up again for a couple minutes.

I am hoping thats case, I always make starters. I like my yeast to be like an 18 year old at prom!

Latest posts

Back