CO2 Regulator Gauge Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djenoch

Reaction score
Hey all,

First time posting... I've kegged a few batches thus far but I noticed just now that my keg pressure gauge won't go any higher than 9 PSI no matter how far I turn the screw. If I back the screw out it does go down to 0 just not any higher than 9. When I put it in the fridge I set it to 12 PSI. My high pressure gauge is in the red but indicate that I still have 200 PSI left. If I bleed off pressure from the keg I get a hiss from the tank so I know its supplying gas. I've tested for leaks with none found. What gives? Do I need a refill on CO2?

Yes, you need a refill.

IIRC the primary regulator needs a minimum 200 psi and secondary and only be supplied with a maximum of 200 psi. So, basically there isn't enough pressure in the tank to push through the regulator.

I could however be wrong.

I agree. As soon as the pressure starts to drop below 750-800psi, it means you're out of CO2. CO2 is stored as a liquid in the tank, and as long as there's liquid left, the pressure will remain at the 750-800psi range (depending on the temperature).

The 200psi remaining is only a tiny amount of CO2, maybe a couple ounces at most. It's probably not enough pressure for your regulator to function properly.

With 200 psi available,most likely explanation for the low-pressure gauge is it's broken. I've run my tanks down to 50 psi. But, it sounds like you need more CO2 anyway and maybe it is just the regulator being difficult.

I'll add that tank pressure is a function of temperature and not a measure of fullness. This is so counter-intuitive, it bears repeating.

Back