Trub in 1 gal fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesM

Reaction score
Last night I made a 1 gal batch of barley wine using the brew in a bag method. I knew there would be some sediment bit looking in the jug this morning there has to be about 3-4 inches settled out on the bottom. This is a significant portion of the final yield. Do I have to suck it up at this point or is there something I can do before fermentation gets going to salvage more of my beer?

Last night I made a 1 gal batch of barley wine using the brew in a bag method. I knew there would be some sediment bit looking in the jug this morning there has to be about 3-4 inches settled out on the bottom. This is a significant portion of the final yield. Do I have to suck it up at this point or is there something I can do before fermentation gets going to salvage more of my beer?

What's your one gallon batch of Barley Wine recipe look like? If you don't mind sharing.

I'm glad you asked, I think I may have gone a little overboard.

3# Maris Otter
.5# Crystal ~100
.5# Rye
1# Honey
.25# Mollasas
half vanilla bean

.3oz fuggles 30 min
.3oz fuggles 15 min

I've started it with British ale yeast WL 005 but I think I'm going to have to dose it with some champain yeast. I'm worried that the yeast is so burried under that trub that it will have a hard time getting to work

Let me know if you have any comments about the recpie - this is my first batch of Barleywine. I'm shooting for something approaching Utopias in body and flavor

I wouldn't be above giving it a shake too once the activity settles down a little bit just to keep it suspended but I wouldn't worry too much about it. At the very least you'll see what's going on with it and what you might want to change the next time you do it. That's what I love about homebrewing though - you can do whatever you want and see what happens and then you get to talk about it.

I've never heard of trub settling over time. Has anyone else found this to happen?

I'm glad you asked, I think I may have gone a little overboard.

3# Maris Otter
.5# Crystal ~100
.5# Rye
1# Honey
.25# Mollasas
half vanilla bean

.3oz fuggles 30 min
.3oz fuggles 15 min

I've started it with British ale yeast WL 005 but I think I'm going to have to dose it with some champain yeast. I'm worried that the yeast is so burried under that trub that it will have a hard time getting to work

Let me know if you have any comments about the recpie - this is my first batch of Barleywine. I'm shooting for something approaching Utopias in body and flavor

How is it looking now?

It is fermenting like CRAZY. After washing out the airlock twice, I put in a blow off tube. about 1 cup of liquid had come out in the form of foam but last night it has settled down a bit. It's still gurggling every few seconds but its just air at this point. I'm not sure which way the sediment problem is going to go. You can still see a ton of it floating around. I forgot to add irish moss in the boil. Is it too late? I was thinking of boiling it in about an ounce of water and pouring it in once fermentation has died down. any thoughts??

It is fermenting like CRAZY. After washing out the airlock twice, I put in a blow off tube. about 1 cup of liquid had come out in the form of foam but last night it has settled down a bit. It's still gurggling every few seconds but its just air at this point. I'm not sure which way the sediment problem is going to go. You can still see a ton of it floating around. I forgot to add irish moss in the boil. Is it too late? I was thinking of boiling it in about an ounce of water and pouring it in once fermentation has died down. any thoughts??

Irish moss is a kettle fining- it coagulates proteins in the boil. It won't do a thing after that. So, don't bother. Wait about a month and see how it is. If you want to use finings then, you could try gelatin.

I hope yours turns out well.
I did a pumpkin beer in a 1G jug. I recall that there was ~1.5 inches of yeast/trub. It was a lot of work for just 8 or so bottles! my "small" batches will be 3G now.

I hope yours turns out well.
I did a pumpkin beer in a 1G jug. I recall that there was ~1.5 inches of yeast/trub. It was a lot of work for just 8 or so bottles! my "small" batches will be 3G now.

+1
you will end up with next to nothing using a gallon fermenter. A lot of time and effort for such a small yield imo.

Back