Project Monsterator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright, tonight is going to be another long night. Phase 1 of organizing the room is up for tonight. Coffee is currently being iced down, and I'm ready to go.

The paint is currently on hold - the main objective is to now get the bad boy working and the room functional. I know some people might be disappointed, but I want this thing at least working!!!

Plans for tonight:
-Clean the room out (cardboard on the floor, paint brushes, etc. etc.)
-Put the freezer in its resting spot
-Pick up buckets/carboys/kegs
-Bring the bed from upstairs to downstairs.
Bringing the bed down is key as it frees up another room that I'm going to use to work out in.
***Running all tubing inside**

This is going to be a PAIN in the butt but I will detail the entire thing. If anyone is around tonight pop into the chat and keep me motivated - it's going to be a long ass night!

Starting to get cleaned up....
Picture5226.jpg

As I said previously I'm a little disappointed with the dark spots on the freezer, but at this point I'm not that concerned. It's not a huge deal and the rust is gone.

Oh, and having someone driving distance from North Country Malts kicks ass as well :)
Picture5227.jpg

Ok, time to start planning out how the kegs will lay out and get the lines prepped!

Patience is the word of the night!

My wrists are killing me and my hands are already wicked tired, so I decided it was the perfect time to take a break.

I started by grabbing 12 kegs and arranging them inside of the freezer the way I saw fit. Here is the layout I came up with:
Picture5228.jpg

Although it looks a bit chaotic, it's separated well enough into 6 and six which will work perfectly with my 2 CO2 distributors.

I made sure to mark ALL of the disconnects. Here is one of the CO2 IN posts:
Picture5232.jpg

Here's the first line going onto the barbed shank:
Picture5229.jpg

Just give it a little grunt and push the crap out of it and it's on!

Make SURE to put the clamps onto the line before doing this step, otherwise you'll be kicking yourself!!!!

Here's the clamp tied down to the line:
Picture5230.jpg

Here is the first line run:
Picture5231.jpg

Measuring the first line (you can also see the clamp on the line!)
Picture5233.jpg

3 Completed:
Picture5234.jpg

HALFWAY THERE!
Picture5235.jpg

Picture5236.jpg

A few things to remember:
-If you are testing using FULL KEGS, make sure that you HAVE A TAP ON THE END OF THE SHANK!!!. I did not and Cream ale went shooting towards the ceiling. It was pretty funny.
-Clean cuts on the tubing. It helps attach it to the barbs
Alright, back to work!!

My hands are raw, but the beer lines are done!!

... I also attached it to my oktoberfest and about 4oz came flying out... So much for listening to my own advice. I'm exhausted. Time for bed and get up early before work so I can do all of the stuff I was supposed to do before I get on the road tomorrow.

Onto the stuff you want to see:
Picture5237.jpg

Picture5238.jpg

Picture5239.jpg

Picture5240.jpg

Let me know what you think! I'm exhausted... Sleepy time!

Thanks! I'm exhausted today. I'm just glad I got as far as I did.

I have another problem though......
When attempting to mount the CO2 distributors I made a pilot hole. When i pulled the pilot out I heard a hiss...... I imagine I hit a coolant line :(. I plan on just patching it and seeing what happens (the pilot was 7/32's I believe) so my hope is that if I use some caulking it won't be an issue, but if anyone can chime in and give me some input I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'm pretty sure if you hit a coolant line you are going to need to go home, hide any firearms you may have and then scroll down...

You may have bricked your fridge!

Hopefully not. Very clean freaking install though, but now that there will be beer flowing, you will never own a plaid keezer, just one that looks exactly like it does now!!

... When i pulled the pilot out I heard a hiss...... I imagine I hit a coolant line :(. I plan on just patching it and seeing what happens (the pilot was 7/32's I believe) so my hope is that if I use some caulking it won't be an issue, but if anyone can chime in and give me some input I'd greatly appreciate it.

Man, if you hit a coolant line caulk ain't gonna do it. You could try to solder it, but it is difficult to do without plugging the line itself. I imagine there is some sort of sleeve you could put both ends of the severed line into and solder to keep that from happening. Then you will need a fridge tech to come out and put coolant in. Probably should have mounted the co2 distributors to the collar instead of the freezer wall.

Will I need to completely remove the wall of the freezer? I can't imagine a tiny pinhole that is plugged is going to be THAT big of an issue?

Hindsight is 20/20.

If you peel the metal shell back, maybe some JB Weld can patch the line? You're still going to need someone to come out and refill the coolant, and ideally hope he doesn't notice the patch spot. :(

Sorry dude

Yeah a pin hole is a BIG deal. It's not about leaking as much as it is pressure. And like Hotspur said, If he sees the patch spot, he'll prolly say No Go. Get a quote before he comes, maybe cheaper to find a new fridge. Preferably same size so you can transfer the lid!
This is such a horrible ending to this thread. I'm sorry for your loss.
And yeah, next one you get, mount the regs to the wood collar.

I'm not going to get a new freezer. I WILL solve this without getting a new one.

well good luck man. You may just want to call a fridge tech without trying to patch yourself and see what he says. He may have some certifiable way to patch it. I wouldn't touch it your self though and void any opportunities he might have.
I'm pulling for you, you've put too much time and Mula into this to not see it finished.

God dam, this is the saddest thread I have ever read. Don't give up, 12 beers on tap is the most epic thing in homebrewing history.

I fear for your freezer though.:(:(:(

I did the same thing and the freezer went to the scrap pile. I am feeling your pain. There are coolant lines running all around the inside and hot lines running all around the outside. I hope you have a beer drinking refrigeration friend or the cost to fix it may outweigh the cost of a new one.

I am already in contact with a couple of people who will be willing to help me out. This will NOT be the end of this freezer. I honestly don't care about the cost of getting it fixed - even if it costs me three times hat I paid for the freezer - it's going to get fixed.

Oh man. I don't think I've chimed in here before, Joe. Your project looks like a masterpiece. If you need some freezer space while you work on this, I only have 2 kegs in my unit right now.

I'm located in Hamden. Not sure where in CT you are, but if this helps at all, I have some room. I could probably fit 4, maybe 5 kegs.

Thanks man, I really appreciate it. I'm about 20 minutes south in trumbull.
Oh man. I don't think I've chimed in here before, Joe. Your project looks like a masterpiece. If you need some freezer space while you work on this, I only have 2 kegs in my unit right now.

I'm located in Hamden. Not sure where in CT you are, but if this helps at all, I have some room. I could probably fit 4, maybe 5 kegs.

Ok, everybody, road trip to Joe's. After we (you all; I'm useless) fix it he'll have enough taps to satisfy us for the weekend at least.

Thanks man, I really appreciate it. I'm about 20 minutes south in trumbull.

Well if you need the space, I work in Bridgeport and you can bring stuff down there if need be. I swear I will only drink a little. :cross:

Just let me know if you need the help. I'll bring my wife's CR-V down to work (no corny is fitting upright in my mustang).

Best of luck to you, and enjoy NH.

Work is over...WTF???!!
summer hours. M-Thurs 8-4:30. Fri 8-1

Man, this sucks. If I didn't live so far away I could help you out.

Thanks man I appreciate it!

Ok, everybody, road trip to Joe's. After we (you all; I'm useless) fix it he'll have enough taps to satisfy us for the weekend at least.
come on over Sig!

Well if you need the space, I work in Bridgeport and you can bring stuff down there if need be. I swear I will only drink a little. :cross:

Just let me know if you need the help. I'll bring my wife's CR-V down to work (no corny is fitting upright in my mustang).

Best of luck to you, and enjoy NH.

I work at SHU so I'm right there every day. If nothing else we should get a brewday situated some time!

For real! Some in the regular world would may think "it's just a freezer" but this is truly saddening! We're all pulling for ya...

I told SWMBO Firday, "Remember Dr. Steve Bruel from the forum and his Monster Keezer Project? , She says YES, Then i told her what happened, "Oh, that SUCKS!!!". We're all pulling for you, even our wives! :) Good luck tomorrow. :mug:

I started out looking for ideas on how to build my kegerator, so I started reading your thread. Man this thing will be awesome when/if you can manage to save it. I will subscribe to this and pray to the beer gods for you to have the best of luck. After so long, and so much work they should allow you to complete this, the only thing I can figure is that they do not want to allow a mere mortal to have something so godly as this. I bow before you oh wise one...

Back