Anyone know any good bourbon ale recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benpen

Reaction score
So i'm wanting to try some kind of a bourbon ale. I love bourbon and i love beer and i've just recently heard of a bourbon barrell porter. Does anyone have or seen a good recipe for a bourbon ale i can make. I've only done extract kits so i'm wondering if this might be my break into all grain. If anyone has any info please put it in terms that an idiot could understand (i'll need it that way). Well thanks to everybody for the help.

Ben:mug:

You may already be talking about it, but Northern Brewer does a Bourbon Barrell porter kit - extract or all grain.

Give this a shot. http://www.tastybrew.com/newrcp/detail/125
I've made it several times and it's been a hands down winner every time.
THe way I did the bourbon barrel part was I took a 18 x 2 x 1" oak stave and charred up really well with my propane torch. I then put it into a big enough cylinder and soaked it with Wild Turkey for quite some time. At least as long as primary fermentation, but the longer the better.
Then racked off the yeast into a cornie keg and dropped in the oak stave. The beer sat in this stage for about 2-3 months.
Then removed the oak, and bottled it up.

I have an extract and specialty grain Oak Aged Bourbon Porter recipe. As a coincident I just tasted my 20 month old batch today. My 8 month old batch is still in secondary until next month.

Back