small fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack

Reaction score
SWMBO is ok with me getting a small fridge to use as a fermentation chamber, so who am I to say no? :) I'm considering two options right now:
1. building some sort of insulated box and putting it near one of the window-unit air conditioners in my apartment.

OR (ideally)

2. a small fridge that will fit one carboy. I thought that I could find a dorm-size fridge that would work, but they all have the chiller on the bottom, which makes it too narrow at the bottom to use. So even if I build a shelf inside, then it's too tall... unless I figure out how to take out the freezer compartment. I swear I've measured a dozen different models of refrigerators and none of them are the right size.

Anyone know a model that might work?

I'd love to get a full size fridge or freezer, but I don't have space for it in my apartment.

Wine cooler. Damn boxes on the bottom rule out a lot of otherwise perfect fridges, but many wine coolers will have that extra depth because the bottles lay down, and it needs to be able to fit the taller wine bottles horizontally.

If you can find a dorm fridge for cheap, and have some basic woodworking skillz you can build one like mine for cheap. Check out my project HERE. I was lucky enough to have the fridge given to me by a friend who was moving, and I just needed to add a wooden collar for depth. Beware of the super tiny dorm fridges though, they will not have enough height inside for a carboy + airlock. That being said, there are a few people here who have taken the innards of a tiny fridge and built an entirely new box. Like this guy here, and this guy here.

I did a similar project as the links above, with much less woodworking skills ;)

Link is in my sig.

Back