American Lager recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naujpr

Reaction score
Hi all. I am currently in my 4th batch and love this new world of home brewing. Cant wait to start my next batch.

However, while making the last recipe, an American Lager, I followed the instructions of a retailer to the letter. It states that the optimum fermentation for this beer is from 60-72 deg F. Now I may be a rookie, but that seems high compared to what Ive read on lagers. The yeast is Wyeast Pilsen Lager.

Would you think it is a typo on their part?

Im already on the lagering phase and would hate to wait that long just to get subpar beer.

Cheers!

You are right, those are ale yeast temps. Here is the correct info for that yeast.

That is a tough style to do well. I fear your lager won't be as clean as you would want.

chickypad said:
You are right, those are ale yeast temps. Here is the correct info for that yeast.

That is a tough style to do well. I fear your lager won't be as clean as you would want.

Oh well, guess ill leave it lagering for quite a while before bottling to see if it helps...

I've actually heard of some folks fermenting lagers around 60F, 10F higher than usual, then performing a typical 3-6 week lager with no ill effect. If your process was sound, you might still have a nice beer. That said, I ferment my lagers between 50-52F for a couple weeks, do a 2 day diacetyl rest at 68F, then lager for a month or so in the keg.

Back