Lets See All The eBIAB Rigs!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antler

Reaction score
Im planning a recirculating eBIAB rig to build in the (hopefully near) future, let's all see some pictures with a short description!

Sorry if this has already been done, I searched didn't find a dedicated thread...

I am electric and use a 15.5 gal Keggle.
My bag is big enough to fold over the outside of the keg. I also have a false bottom screen over my heating elements to keep the bag and the weight off of the element.
I don't have a pump yet but would really like to get one for recirculation to help spread the heat more evenly through out the mash. right now I do it with an old Old Crow jug, pulling from the bottom and pouring back on top. It works, but a pump would be sweet.
I have a pulley system above the keg for lifting the grains/draining the bag. Also hang my hops bag from the pulley during boil.
My exhaust is several small fans in my basement window and works great.
Hope this helps, any questions, feel free to ask.
Later...........TangleFoot-out

P4070005.JPG

P4070007.JPG

P4070010.JPG

P4070021.JPG

TangleFoot said:
I am electric and use a 15.5 gal Keggle.
My bag is big enough to fold over the outside of the keg. I also have a false bottom screen over my heating elements to keep the bag and the weight off of the element.
I don't have a pump yet but would really like to get one for recirculation to help spread the heat more evenly through out the mash. right now I do it with an old Old Crow jug, pulling from the bottom and pouring back on top. It works, but a pump would be sweet.
I have a pulley system above the keg for lifting the grains/draining the bag. Also hang my hops bag from the pulley during boil.
My exhaust is several small fans in my basement window and works great.
Hope this helps, any questions, feel free to ask.
Later...........TangleFoot-out

Nice! I'm going to be putting my element in my 10 gallon Blichmann. I'll be using the small inline pump from greatbreweh.com.

voltin said:
Here is mine:

I outlined the system in my build thread.

That's a very nice setup! I love it! Keep 'em comin boys!

How do you have your recirculation line running back into the kettle? I don't like the look of hoses draped around so I'm planning on making something permanent for the line to run back into the kettle, have a QD on the output of my pump so I can disconnect the line and connect one to run through a chiller or to the fermenter.

It would be great to have all the eBIAB setups in one thread with links to the build thread. If you guys with eBIAB rigs have threads, post a pic and a link! Save some searching. I'm getting stuff together to build mine. . . would love to see more!

Here's my eBiaB Keggle. I've got about 15 batches of beer on it so far and am really starting to get into stride.

mini-DSC05661.jpg

mini-DSC05662.jpg

pvtschultz said:
Here's my eBiaB Keggle. I've got about 15 batches of beer on it so far and am really starting to get into stride.

Awesome looking setup! Mind sharing what all the switches are for?

Top left is a keyed switch to prevent unauthorized brewing :rockin:, middle-left controls a contactor to break the supply to the heating element, middle-middle switches between PID and PWM (my cheap Chinese PID doesn't have a manual mode and buying the Auber would have been more cost effective...), and the middle-right turns on/off the alarm. The bottom-middle is a trim pot knob to control the duty cycle of the PWM with a panel light on either side for power on and element on.

pvtschultz said:
Top left is a keyed switch to prevent unauthorized brewing :rockin:, middle-left controls a contactor to break the supply to the heating element, middle-middle switches between PID and PWM (my cheap Chinese PID doesn't have a manual mode and buying the Auber would have been more cost effective...), and the middle-right turns on/off the alarm. The bottom-middle is a trim pot knob to control the duty cycle of the PWM with a panel light on either side for power on and element on.

Hmmm what a coincidence. I've been wanting an eBiab setup where I can switch between the PID (mash) to PWM (boil). I know, I know, most PIDs have a manual mode but if prefer a knob. I like your setup!

jammin said:
Here is my 2.5 gallon kit:

It uses a 1500 watt element; I just set it on the stove so I can use the vent hood.

I may be way out of line here, and I apologize if i am, but if your doing small (2.5 gallon) batches, why on earth would you spend the money to convert to electric if your gonna set it on the stovetop anyway?

Antler said:
I may be way out of line here, and I apologize if i am, but if your doing small (2.5 gallon) batches, why on earth would you spend the money to convert to electric if your gonna set it on the stovetop anyway?

I may be out of line here, but I thought it would be nice to be able to brew wherever I want. My crummy stove doesn't have a PID either :(

jammin said:
I may be out of line here, but I thought it would be nice to be able to brew wherever I want. My crummy stove doesn't have a PID either :(

It is nice to brew wherever you want, I agree. Just thinkin if i were doin half batches I'd use a thermometer and the stovetop lol

Antler said:
It is nice to brew wherever you want, I agree. Just thinkin if i were doin half batches I'd use a thermometer and the stovetop lol

It's my pilot system so I like to keep things easy and precise.

I've always kept a quote near to me:

"Brewing is only as complicated as you make it"

So yes, I understand I could go about it with less fuss. For that matter, I could just do extract.

Your questioning/mocking of my approach is analogous to saying:

"Not to be a jerk"

It's never a good look.

PS - in case you didn't know what thread this is, it's the "Show us your eBIAB rig" thread. "e" stands for electronic in case you didn't pay attention or understand the nomenclature.

I understood, seeing as how I'm the OP. I'm not trying to mock you at all just trying to get your reasoning for the way you like your equipment the way you do, so me and others planning ebiab setups can use your opinions to make our setups right from the start, making it less of a trial and error thing to get the setup we think is right for us.

If you like your setup than that's great! Sorry if I offended you and your setup.

zygaxicon said:
Here is my rig. I call him R2-Brew2.

I like him!

I'd love to convert my keg to a keggle, but then I'd be wasting the 10g Blichmann I bought last year...

I'm assuming the top valve is for recirculating as well, mind sharing how that's setup? I thought about making a permanent recirc line for my kettle but figured it pointless if the water doesn't go through the bag/grains.

Antler said:
I like him!

I'd love to convert my keg to a keggle, but then I'd be wasting the 10g Blichmann I bought last year...

I'm assuming the top valve is for recirculating as well, mind sharing how that's setup? I thought about making a permanent recirc line for my kettle but figured it pointless if the water doesn't go through the bag/grains.

Yes sir, the top valve is for recirculation. Toolbox is the controller obviously, but the pump pulls from the bottom valve to recirculate wort to the top of the grains. I only make 5.25 gallon batches with this rig, but it works very well. It's been pretty accurate and my efficiency has been on the higher side of expectancy of what a BIAB rig should provide. One of my personally favorite perks is the stainless stand its on is low enough to comfortably pull the grain bag out without too much effort. I make no mess in the brew day and it cleans up VERY quickly.

zygaxicon said:
Yes sir, the top valve is for recirculation. Toolbox is the controller obviously, but the pump pulls from the bottom valve to recirculate wort to the top of the grains. I only make 5.25 gallon batches with this rig, but it works very well. It's been pretty accurate and my efficiency has been on the higher side of expectancy of what a BIAB rig should provide. One of my personally favorite perks is the stainless stand its on is low enough to comfortably pull the grain bag out without too much effort. I make no mess in the brew day and it cleans up VERY quickly.

I will be brewing this weekend, so when I get it all set up and in action I will take pics of it to show you a better example of it's use.

zygaxicon said:
I will be brewing this weekend, so when I get it all set up and in action I will take pics of it to show you a better example of it's use.

Thank you!

My brewday, from mash to preboil.. Peeps came over so didnt get to finish taking pics of the second half of the brewday.

ForumRunner_20121028_114628.jpg

ForumRunner_20121028_114644.jpg

ForumRunner_20121028_114704.jpg

ForumRunner_20121028_114722.jpg

ForumRunner_20121028_114735.jpg

ForumRunner_20121028_114750.jpg

Just curious. How long would it take to get 14 gallons of wort to boil using electricity? Using heating elements?

It really depends. If you have a strong heating element (mine is 5500w) then it'll heat up rather quickly. My preboil is usually ranging from 7 - 8.5 gallons, and it really heats up to boiling in just under 8 minutes or so. I also get a pretty big boil off from that element so my PID helps regulate the electric pulse so I don't go below my post boil volume.

10 gallons = 83 pounds of water.

1 Kw = 4312 BTU/hr @ 100% efficient.
5.5 Kw = 23,716 BTU/hr

Prior to boiling, 1 BTU raises 1 pound of water 1 degree.

23,716 BTU/hr / 83 lbs = 285 degrees per hour or 4.76 degrees per minute, assuming 100% efficiency and no kettle heat loss. Say 4 degrees per minute in the real world.

212 - 160 = 52F. 52F / 4 = 13 minutes.

Back