Help! 75F beer in fermenter - when should I pitch the yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottvin

Reaction score
So, I used my plate chiller today and things didn't go as well as they did last time. I was only able to get my beer to 75F using it. I guess I have to take a look into a pre-chiller or pump but that is for another day.

I have rigged a swamp cooler and placed water bottles in the water to cool it down and the ambient temperature of the basement is 66F. At what point should I pitch the yeast?

Thanks!

Ideally, you'd pitch in the low 60s and allow the temperature to rise up to your desired fermentation temperature.

Which yeast strain are you using? If it's WLP001 or Wyeast 1056, I'd pitch at 70 probably.

Pitch away. The preferred temp range for US-05 is 59F-74F. I personally prefer 61F-65F for the first week but you shouldn't have any problem cooling it down to the mid 60's before the yeast kick into production mode.

You can go ahead & pitch the US-05 at that temp. Just install a blow off tube,as it'll get going more explosively than at 62-65F. I've been seeing that the lower temps just slow down fermentation in order to produce the "cleaner flavors" reported. Those are my findings. And even then I've still needed a blow off on some.
Just make sure you got it rigged to cool down overnight. It should be fine,as I've had to do that myself. Just gotta adopt to the situation. If the brew starts out warmer,or goes warmer for initial fermentation,then give it more time to clean up & settle out. That'll make for good beer in the end.

scottvin said:
So, I used my plate chiller today and things didn't go as well as they did last time. I was only able to get my beer to 75F using it. I guess I have to take a look into a pre-chiller or pump but that is for another day.

I have rigged a swamp cooler and placed water bottles in the water to cool it down and the ambient temperature of the basement is 66F. At what point should I pitch the yeast?

Thanks!

I've successfully pitched at 82 degrees with no adverse effects that i could tell. Fermentation started within 8 hours at which point the brew was within ale ferm temps and went strong to completion, i would have to check my notes to see which brew it was, but all except my first one have been good. and the first was only bad due to not fully rinsing chlorine from my equipment. Since then i've used starsan.

Thanks for the advice. I pitched the yeast about an hour or so after I brewed. I am sure it will turn out great!

Back