Star anise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aschecte

Brewtus Maximus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have never used this before and will be doing so for the first time in a Saison de Pipaix clone out of BYO magazine. The recipe calls for 1/4 oz at 15 minutes but these damn things look like stars ..... do I cut it up to hit 1/4 oz crush it into a powder fior a 1/4 oz a rough crush kinda like milling grain ? I have not a clue as I have never used it before any input would be quite helpfull.

:rockin:

Wow, that's a lot of star anise! Farmhouse Ales has a Saison de Pipaix inspired recipe, and that calls for only 0.5 gram. You can break up the stars into points- I'd be quite hesitant to use more than half a star in a saison.

I got it in my BoPils lagering right now...I agree with dwarven, star anise is quite potent. I think I used 4 stars total and I may have overdone it (1-gallon batch). 2 crushed (literally just tore it apart with my hands) and 2 whole.

I would think if it calls for 1/4 oz, maybe it is whole, which would be far less potent than crushed

it is definitely less potent whole. my wife uses it in a honeydew cocktail she makes and leaves them whole cause they look cool floating around. i always break it up when i brew with it, use a lot less than she does, and it comes out a lot stronger. I am steeping it though, too- i use like 2 stars to a gallon.

I also saved that recipe from byo,it sounds more than good, I love saison's in general but have not try the star anise either.please keep us posted!

bmckenzie said:
I also saved that recipe from byo,it sounds more than good, I love saison's in general but have not try the star anise either.please keep us posted!

Brew day is Sunday I'll keep you posted !!!

i did that recipe a month ago. it seems like a lot of star anise, but it gives a really good flavor and aroma. not overpowering at all

i did that recipe a month ago. it seems like a lot of star anise, but it gives a really good flavor and aroma. not overpowering at all
A bit off the star anise topic but..... Did you follow their mash profile ? The Dingemans pilsner I bought said it is suited for a single step mash. Now I understand the benefits of doing it as a step mash but, being I mash in a cooler steps are a pain in the as*. Just curious if you did the step or single. Also as a modified recipe how do you think Brettt C would go with this recipe or is there already too much going on here and the Brett would muddy it up too much.

Ok so I brewed this today and it came out almost spot on I hit the gravity , Ibu's , etc. the only thing according to beersmith is my SRM was off Beersmith claims my color was 5.9srm when it should have been 11. The only thing I subbed was the amber malt as I couldn't find any ( barring online ) at my LHBS so I used biscuit and victoery for those 4 ounces. Honestly visually I think it looks much closer to the 11 than 6 srm I think beersmith is off somewhere. Anyway on to the star anise, it is not overpowering in any way shape or form I ended up breaking the points of and adding them to the last 15 minutes of the boil. It is there in the aroma and blended very modestly in the flavor. The hydro sample was great very citrusy, peppery, and licorice in the mix. I'm going to let this go at least a month in primary before considering kegging or a secondary to clear if not.

if you do it that way or even whole it's pretty mild. it's when you crush up the seeds that it gets stronger. the last thing i made with anise was a mead and it is pretty licoricey right now - i used them whole in the secondary.

Back