why is this not mentioned ALLOT more?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyD

Reaction score
Whirlpooling after your wort is chilled!!!!!, brewed yesterday an light, steam beer.....type.....thing. I mean who needs a hop bag.............. huh? came out as clear as one can get!!!!!

IMO that's fine when using an IC, but not when you're using a chiller that works as the wort runs through it, into the fermenter. I'm using a plate chiller now, along with hop bags and have great results. Especially when Saturday's batch (5 gallons) was made with 5oz of hops (hop bursting).

Do the methods/processes that makes most sense for your equipment.

It's not mentioned a lot more because it doesn't work well with many of the systems we use as homebrewers. As with almost all things in brewing, what works for one person is rarely universally applicable.

I use a CFC and do it that way as standard procedure. I pump the wort through the CFC and back to the kettle in a continuous loop. Once sufficiently chilled, I stop the pump and let the hop debris & break material settle out. Basically the same result you have described. Been doing it this way for years without problems.

bush pigs with a spear.................................(what???)

Snipe hunting, I guess you're to young to get it. Suffice it to say, whirlpooling seems to work for less people than it works for. It also has no place in a cfc setup, which a lot of people use.

_

would make for much better yeast collection after? and IMO if one loose the hop bag it makes for better hop utilization, and why would you not try to get as much of the gunk out as early as possible?

would make for much better yeast collection after? and IMO if one loose the hop bag it makes for better hop utilization, and why would you not try to get as much of the gunk out as early as possible?

There are many other ways to accomplish that.

_

There are so many ways to clarify your beer. From irish moss additions in the boil all the way to cold crashing in the bottle. For me whirlpooling just adds more time to the brew day.

Snipe hunting, I guess you're to young to get it. Suffice it to say, whirlpooling seems to work for less people than it works for. It also has no place in a cfc setup, which a lot of people use.

_

OK.....all the noobs....hands up....how many have cfc setups???

I don't see the need to whirlpool. Any of the nasties that you siphon from the kettle will end up at the bottom of your fermenter either way so I'm not concerned with it. I do use whirlfloc added at 15mins.

I rarely get a good cone when I have tried whirlpooling. Instead, I toss the lid on the BK once its cooled and start doing some cleanup, this lets the hops and break material fall to the bottom. Since my valve is about 3/4 an inch from the bottom this allows me to leave most of the material behind. I prefer to not have that in my fermenters as it takes up precious beer space...and results in cleaner yeast.

Latest posts

Back