Cider - after 6 weeks its still got a little bubble going

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codeblue2k

Reaction score
I made a cider beer and planned on bottling it this weekend. But it looks like its still bubbling a little. It looks nice a clear, but you can see some bubbles still making their way to the top. The airlock is moving just ever so slightly. There are no bubbles on the top, but then again there really wasn't in the first place. Do you think its safe to bottle?

You sanitize a wine thief and pull out a little bit of the cider, then take a reading. It could be that fermentation is complete and that the residual CO2 is just escaping the carboy and that's what's causing the airlock to move.

You sanitize a wine thief and pull out a little bit of the cider, then take a reading. It could be that fermentation is complete and that the residual CO2 is just escaping the carboy and that's what's causing the airlock to move.

So its coming up as 1.000, which is a little concerning.

Why is a gravity of 1.000 concerning? It will be pretty dry but have some kick :). You're good to bottle.

Why is a gravity of 1.000 concerning? It will be pretty dry but have some kick :). You're good to bottle.

I guess I need to do a little studying. Since it had a gravity/potential alcohol of 1.0/0.0 i thought that meant that there was no ABV.

So whats the gravity rage that would indicate a beer is done?

Beer? Not a clue.

Cider, depends!
What was your starting gravity? The difference between the starting and final gravity are what allow you to calculate the ABV. But 1.0 means theres very little (if any) sugar left. I'll let someone more experienced advise if its safe to bottle (I'm playing with bottle carbing and pasturisation myself).
Cider will go right past 1.0, depending on the yeast and the SG. Lots of people seem to be very keen on dumping a ton of sugar, that not only boosts the final ABV but increases the odds that your yeast will give up before 1.0

You may have a malolactic fermentation going - or your cider might be degassing. If you have a malo ferment I would hold off on bottling. Is your cider from unpasterized or a juice can in a store?

What was your OG?

And beer usually finishes under 1.020, but much higher than 1.000. To be safe, I would say most commonly between 1.020 and 1.010.

What was your OG?

And beer usually finishes under 1.020, but much higher than 1.000. To be safe, I would say most commonly between 1.020 and 1.010.

Depending on the yeast strain, cider will finish as low as .990. Don't bottle until the SG stops changing- if it's at 1.000 it very well may not be done! I don't know what "cider beer" is, so maybe it will finish at 1.000. But apple juice is very fermentable and will go to .990.

Back