Real pumpkin flavored ale without....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokinghole

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
...the pumpkin? I want to make a batch or two of pumpkin ale for the fall. I want it to hit some around 7%. I keep reading many of you do not even use pumpkin and if you do it's a PITA. Why not use a product like this?

http://www.suttonsbayspices.com/Flavorings_and_Oils/21561.html

Or

https://www.naturesflavors.com/product_info.php?cPath=207&products_id=5606

The second I assume is some sort of powder concentrate of actual pumpkins. I can envision using it at the end of a boil. The oil I think would be easier to use as you can do a gradual addition to a bottle of neutral flavored beer to get the right ratio. Though the powder would be pretty easy to utilize at the end of the boil like I said or even treat it like a late sugar addition possibly.

Anyone have any experience with either that "candy" oil or any of the flavor compounds?

Never used that stuff. I've seen a lot of discussion that more flavor is derived from the spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice etc) than the actual pumpkin itself.

Pumpkin doesn't provide the flavor. Last year I used real pumpkin in the mash with no issues, and might again just for "authenticity", but in all honesty it's unnecessary. As stated above, it's the spices which give the flavor.

Im no expert, but I would avoid using the first product. First, it could mess with head retention. What exactly is "pumpkin flavor" anyway? It's always said that pumpkin has a very subtle, barely there flavor to begin with, so what would the extract provide? Not to mention, that description is definitely not good enough for me to feel comfortable putting that in my beer. I would want more information.

I guess is a semantic arguement for me but without pumpkin how is it even called a pumpkin ale? All it is at that point is spiced like any other spiced beer.

I found a breakdown of the extract and it lists triglycerides which I'm sure would kill head retention. I emailed the powder compound company about equivalence between a pound of pumpkin and the pumpkin flavor.

Powders are notorious for doing basically nothing for flavor in beer. Some people say cocoa works, some say it doesn't. The reviews of that peanut powder were mostly negative. There's a long thread about the peanut powder somewhere on here. It was used in many different parts of the process and generally everyone said they didn't taste it.

I used...I think it was Yuri's recipe...the one with the most comments at least.

I halved the amount of canned pumpkin. the beer is great. no problems at all mashing the canned pumpkin either. I don't know why people think its a pain.

SWMBO and I are growing our own baking pumpkins this year and I am growing hops. I am hoping to use both in my Pumpkin Ale.

Back