Rapid Water Heater - Would this work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger9913

Reaction score
I came across some material at work and it gave me the idea to build an electric rapid water heater.

Here is the parts list I have:

8' 2" copper pipe
2 2" tee to 1/2" out ( water in/out)
2 2"-1" reducing coupling
2 1" female threaded coupling

My plan is to cut the tube to about 1.5' and install a heating element on each end of the tube. Place the tee's about 2" from each end for my water inlet and outlet. I figured if I fired both elements and controlled the flow I should be able to heat 75 degree water to at least 130*-140* if not more. I know the threads on the female coupling are NPT and the elements are straight thread but I figured enough thread tape and silicon O-ring I should be able to snug it? Anyone see a probelm here?

It'll work.

Guys who use RIMS brew rigs basically have this same thing built, but with one element in one end and a temp probe at the other end. There are some charts on here one some thread showing how well a RIMS tube worked as a tankless water heater.

Back