eSMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bytemyfoot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking to make a series of eSMaSHes (extract SMaSHes) and I wanted to get some feedback on the recipe I've come up with. This one happens to be for Citra, but the others (Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial, Nelson Sauvin, Nugget, & Simcoe) are all the same ABV (5.77%) and roughly the same IBU (around 46-47 IBU).

1.78 lb Light Dry Extract @ 60 min
2 drops FermcapS @ 60 min
0.96 oz Citra Hops @ 60 min

0.96 oz Citra Hops @ 30 min

0.96 oz Citra Hops @ 15 min
5.32 lb Light Dry Extract @ 15 min
1 tsp Irish Moss @ 15 min

0.96 oz Citra Hops @ 5 min

US-05

Any suggestions/comments?

I did something similar... but added the extract a 30 mins. Not sure why, just seemed right. 5 days in primary so far and hydro sample was fantastic
2 oz centenial hops, 7# light DME
1 oz 60 mins
.5 oz 30 mins/extract
.25oz 15 mins
.25oz flameout
nottingham yeast

Keep us posted on how yours turns out. I wanted to use more hops, but LHBS was charging $5 an oz. Time to make a bulk order.
:mug:

Never did an eSMaSH, but there's nothing wrong with it. As long as you use a light extract, you'll be basically using a single malt. There should really be no difference other than you're at the mercy of how fermentable the extract is, which isn't a big deal at all. Go for it and have some fun. I love SMaSHes regardless of brewing method. It's a great way to understand a hop or malt much better than you did before.

akchris: $5 per oz?!? Um, wow. And I thought $3.50 was bad (which was why I also went bulk).

Yeah I know...The only local shop is wine oriented, and they think that because they carry a small amount of beer supplies they can charge outrageous prices...well...they got my money. I wasn't about to drive to anchorage (1hr each way) for $3 per oz. hijack over, sorry bytemyfoot.

This interests me. I bought 9lbs of LME with the intent of making a Warrior/Citra/Cascade ale but now I think I might give a SMaSh some thought.

Back