Perlick flow control?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
buying a new tower.should I get the flow control.Only one keg.Will it help with foaming if I dont have everything dialed in correctly.First real kegerator,newbie
Does it really help?

I have 2 of them and I think it works great. I have 3 foot lines and even with an overcarbed keg I can keep the foaming to a minimum (granted the flow is at a minimum at that point as well...) I definitely recommend it.

Definitely worth it IMO.

I've had really overcarbed beer serve fine using my flow control faucet without having to mess with the CO2 tank.

I'm currently bout to add some more taps and I won't have one without this faucet if that tells you anything. Def worth the extra cash.

I just wish they would make a SS option. I love stainless!

They are, due out sometime in the Spring (according to their Facebook page.) They sold them for a while last Summer, but had (undisclosed) problems, so they yanked them from the market to re-engineer them. I'm going to jump on 4 of them to replace my faucets when they do come out.

It is possible. I have done it a few times. It is just a little tricky lining up the flow control with the guts inside. Although with my keg line cleaning kit, the cleaning solution now flow through the faucet, so I do not know how often I really need to take them apart.

Yeah, that's what I do. I made myself one of these and just use it to clean the whole dispensing train. Still, it seems to me it would probably be a good idea to really get into the guts from time to time, but I've not done that yet.

They are, due out sometime in the Spring (according to their Facebook page.) They sold them for a while last Summer, but had (undisclosed) problems, so they yanked them from the market to re-engineer them. I'm going to jump on 4 of them to replace my faucets when they do come out.
Guess they missed their target of spring 2013 :)

Sucks because I'm about to build my first kegerator, but it seems like I really should be getting SS, but the flow control sounds pretty cool, especially because I'm sure I'll screw up carbonating some beers.

So do I go with SS, but no flow control or plated chrome with flow control??

Guess they missed their target of spring 2013 :)

Sucks because I'm about to build my first kegerator, but it seems like I really should be getting SS, but the flow control sounds pretty cool, especially because I'm sure I'll screw up carbonating some beers.

So do I go with SS, but no flow control or plated chrome with flow control??

Honestly, if you are building your own kegerator, give yourself proper line length (10 ft should work,) and buy standard SS Perlicks. You will not need the flow control option and you will save money.

What about if you have a beer like a Quad or Berliner Weiss that want 4 volumes? 10 feet of choke isn't going to work.

While the flow controls are good, to run 4 volumes your are still going to need longer lines or will have to set the faucet to a trickle to pour anywhere close to that.

I have these faucets and have them set at just under halfway open to run IPAs at 2.5 volumes @ 10 psi. I have 5ft lines and steady temperature of 38 degrees.

Does it really adjust an overcarbed keg so that it doesn't taste overcarbed? Or does it just compensate for the amount of head in the glass? I just installed one.

The 545 isn't going to remove excessive carbonic bite from overcarbed beer.
It just lets you adjust the system to dispense without excessive foam...

Cheers!

Back