New homebrew app - HopScheduler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Garrett said:
The design looks awesome. You should make a whole brewing app with that design.

Thanks Garrett - designing apps is my day job but this is my first venture with developing and launching.

I may think about a full app but there are some pretty good ones out there now. I think some could be simplified but that's my approach.

I just purchased your app. I use beer alchemy and its one glaring omission, or fault, depending on your perspective, is mash and hops timers that are integrated with recipe configuration.

I understand your app is at version 1, but I'll give you some feedback based on my initial experience with the app. First, I like the design, but its not very configurable. I usually boil for 90 minutes and don't add hops until the 60 minute mark. To use your app, I had to add a 90 'no hop until 60 min' entry and then start adding hops based on my recipe and times. Herein lies the problem,there's no editing except deletion of the entry and to change the time, you have to swipe in one minute increments. Also no way to correct mis-spelled names or easily move hop schedules around without deleting all entries and starting again. Also, I can only see one default hop schedule configuration. It would also be extremely helpful to have multiple hop schedules to correspond with my different recipes and not have to delete and configure a new hop schedule for each different brew day where I use a different recipe.

Just my initial evaluation.

Jim

Ragtop232 said:
I just purchased your app. I use beer alchemy and its one glaring omission, or fault, depending on your perspective, is mash and hops timers that are integrated with recipe configuration.

I understand your app is at version 1, but I'll give you some feedback based on my initial experience with the app. First, I like the design, but its not very configurable. I usually boil for 90 minutes and don't add hops until the 60 minute mark. To use your app, I had to add a 90 'no hop until 60 min' entry and then start adding hops based on my recipe and times. Herein lies the problem,there's no editing except deletion of the entry and to change the time, you have to swipe in one minute increments. Also no way to correct mis-spelled names or easily move hop schedulese around without deleting all entries and starting again. Also, I can only see one default hop schedule configuration. It would also be extremely helpful to have multiple hop schedules to correspond with my different recipes and not have to delete and configure a new hop schedule for each different brew day where I use a different recipe.

Just my initial evaluation.

Jim

Jim- first off thanks for checking out the app and yes this is v1 so I hope to build on it. Your feedback is great and I will be logging it - from what I can gather:

1. Editable hop names
2. Name and save hop schedules
3. Drag and drop hop times

Thanks again I'll be working on 1.1 soon

Jim- first off thanks for checking out the app and yes this is v1 so I hope to build on it. Your feedback is great and I will be logging it - from what I can gather:

1. Editable hop names
2. Name and save hop schedules
3. Drag and drop hop times

Thanks again I'll be working on 1.1 soon

Exactly. Drag and drop hop additions once entered would be a nicety, but not as important as being able to edit times with the clock API function instead of the swiping in one-minute increments. Once you choose a 90 minute boil, each additional hop you add will default to 90 minutes and you have to swipe 89 times to bring that down to a flameout addtion. :) Be easier to just touch the time and roll the minute/hour wheel, in my opinion. Also have the ability to setup different hop schedules and save them. Example, Jim's APA, Jim's Nut Brown Ale, Jim's Oatmeal Stout, etc. and by selecting one of the configurations, you now have it's pre-saved and configured hop schedule ready to go without the need of building from scratch again.

Good luck and it's a nice app.

Jim

Great thanks Jim - ya I think maybe a menu of edit options with various icons on a certain hop could the trick there and would really help out the UX.

Here are a couple of one time use coupon codes for the app if you have an iPhone - I'd just ask that you rate the app in the store if you could:

RNFEN9LRPNNP
LFE3PXH7KFMN

Thanks for the feedback so far. :D

Latest posts

Back